MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
I plan on getting the Milltek exhaust for when my MCS arrives. The engine is rated with 5 additional bhp, which is due to a newer supercharger and some exhaust modifications. I guess the question is... with 168 bhp on tap, what will the new Milltek add? If it is only capable of adding 5-7 bhp (as opposed to the 8-10 it is supposed to add), then we will know how much the new "exhaust modification" on the '05 MCS is good for.
With respect to the warranty, an exhaust system should not be of concern. While it depends on your dealership, the technical terminology floating around at the dealerships is, "if the addon has a direct impact on the vehicle's problem." With that said, an exhaust system does not touch the engine directly, it only directs the exhaust gases to the rear of the vehicle. My MA said that a CAI and exhaust will not void the warranty. With the pulley, obviously, it will void the engine warranty. My $ .02.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can try an post dyno results of before and after the exhaust install.

I doubt the dealer would notice the changed pulley unless something went wrong with the supercharger and they took a closer look.

·
656 Posts
You still may want to becareful! If your car ever needs to go to the dealership, the techs will want to take it for a drive and notice the difference as well.

You could get hit two ways, by a visual or by test drive...

As far as the dyno, probably will get the dyno done. (or try to!) And post the results. 2005 Millteks are not out yet. I wrote them a little while ago and they said that they have a '05 MCS coming in sometime in October (this month) to see if any changes are needed to mount it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dumped the stock exhaust at 1,000 miles on my 05MCS and put on a Magna Flow. My BUTT DYNO may have noticed a small gain--but, I put on a performance exhaust so I could HEAR the car. It worked. Truly not for the shy. While you are at it, add a CAI and you've got a 1.6 L that takes in more air and gets rid of it more efficiently AND sounds and feels much stronger. :D Nick

·
Registered
121 Posts
CooperSAZ said:
I plan on getting the Milltek exhaust for when my MCS arrives. The engine is rated with 5 additional bhp, which is due to a newer supercharger and some exhaust modifications. I guess the question is... with 168 bhp on tap, what will the new Milltek add? If it is only capable of adding 5-7 bhp (as opposed to the 8-10 it is supposed to add), then we will know how much the new "exhaust modification" on the '05 MCS is good for.
With respect to the warranty, an exhaust system should not be of concern. While it depends on your dealership, the technical terminology floating around at the dealerships is, "if the addon has a direct impact on the vehicle's problem." With that said, an exhaust system does not touch the engine directly, it only directs the exhaust gases to the rear of the vehicle. My MA said that a CAI and exhaust will not void the warranty. With the pulley, obviously, it will void the engine warranty. My $ .02.

CooperSAZ,

The increase power is due to exhaust modifications, and ECU modification, not from a supercharger. This is the same supercharger as was in most of the '04 MCS's. I think you will get minimal gains from a new exhaust. Most of them contributed very little hp and probably even less now with the new power come from the stock unit.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
dgszweda said:
CooperSAZ,

The increase power is due to exhaust modifications, and ECU modification, not from a supercharger. This is the same supercharger as was in most of the '04 MCS's. I think you will get minimal gains from a new exhaust. Most of them contributed very little hp and probably even less now with the new power come from the stock unit.
Actually, the supercharger has been changed to a newer generation Eaton blower.

·
656 Posts
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/02/01/the_2005_mini_revealed

Just picked this up from motoringfile.com:

Cooper S now with a revised supercharger, revised exhaust system, and new ECU - 170hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. Top speed is increased to 138mph and 0-60 times should improve slightly as well. The MCS also has shorter gearing in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears for quicker acceleration.

So we were both kind of right!! ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Actually, the supercharger has been changed to a newer generation Eaton blower.
Yeah but the 5th generation Eaton blower has been on the 2004's since at least January of this year, so that didn't contribute to the power increase between a June build and a July build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.