MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Mini In ME
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Otter Boy 8300 Mile Report

It’s been a long time since I posted info on OB due to NO TIME, but here goes.

Picked OB up on 8/2/2004. Read my profile for specs.

I love this car. Have traveled these miles on Maine/Mass/NH highways, regular Maine/Mass/NH roads, and Maine/Mass/NH back roads. Up until last week I had not driven in snow, slush or other wintery conditions. But it has now happened and I wanted to share my experience and up to date overview.

Upon ordering this car, DSC was a main focus, after reading about it. However, reading something and then having the reality of it are 2 different things. Let me say this about the DSC on the MINI:

ANYONE THAT HAS TO CONTEND WITH WINTER DRIVING NEEDS TO GET DSC, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO ELIMINATE SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!

I am running the 17” all season Goodyear ASA run flats. I was very concerned about the tires, and the handling in bad stuff. I considered buying Winter Tires but have not done so yet, and I may, or I may not. I am completely ( and more so ) satisfied with OB with DSC. Could not be happier. Turn DSC off, and it’s like any other front wheel drive car for handling. Pretty good, as long as the driver has some sense. Many drivers here don’t have any of that, and what they don’t realize, is that an even SUV is not going to save their backside!

Turn on DSC ( which I always have on anyway, unless I want fun under some conditions, dry or wet ) and you have a totally different car. Rather than trying to describe it, please take my word for it. ( I know, you don’t even know me, but I have never lied to you yet). Allows for great fun and safety in bad stuff.

Other issues:
Oil change at around 5800 miles ( my dollar )
Driver door inside panel bowed out ( fixed, just not clipped right )
Periodic squeak has mostly disappeared ( maybe the cold contracted metal )
Engine mount, passenger side being replaced as precaution at warranty 10,000 oil change ( warranty )
Mileage averages 25.5 to 30 mpg ( depends on me, so mostly 27 ) I’ll take the fun factor
Heating, defrosting, wipers, washers, heated seats, mirrors, washer jets all excellent
I lost my spare plastic key ( ordering replacement at $37.41, must show copy of drivers license and registration ) Really That’s good though.
When ice is on roof, some rubbing is there if it is solid around the sun roof where it meets the roof frame ( didn’t think about this, but with the size of the sunroof it’s to be expected I think ) No different that ice buildup anywhere else.

Enough for now, but I Love This Car!!! Good luck to you all and hope you have great Holidays.

PS – Mini of Peabody has been great to deal with.

·
The Mini In ME
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a stupid question?

Jambo101

This is not one of them though. I asked that before I bought. DSC is Dynamic Stability Control. ABS is standard, and then there is Electronic Brake Distribution, and Cornering Brake Control, and sitting on all that is the DSC. This is switched on or off, and when on helps the other technology to work, but also checks the Yaw of the car and redirects power and brake systems to keep you going where you intended to go.

I did a lot of research on MINIUSA.com and this site to get the full meaning. Off the top of my head, I may have the EBD and CBC stuff above misnamed but they are real and good.

DSC is the best. Read about it.

It does not however, defy the laws of physics.

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
I would take a good set of snow tires over DSC if I was forced to make a choice. You can't use DSC to maximise traction that isn't there, and all-seasons can't equal the performance of snows this time of year.

Having said that, DSC + snow tires (a combination I'm running now) is ideal.

-CW

·
The Mini In ME
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed

I agree that winter tires are the best tires to run in this stuff, over all-season. I'm just glad I have DSC regardless!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Humour13ss,thought i knew Canada very well but i 've never heard of Canada City,where is that? or did i miss the humour :D Sorry for drifting on the post Otter Boy.

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
jambo101 said:
Humour13ss,thought i knew Canada very well but i 've never heard of Canada City,where is that? or did i miss the humour :D Sorry for drifting on the post Otter Boy.
It's a very obscure reference to an old joke made on the website for The Onion, in which they referred to the capital as "Canada City". Actually, I live just outside of Toronto.

-CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts