MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any issues with their 2005 Mini's? Post your problems here.

I've had my MCS for a little over 2 weeks now and the following problems are really beginning to annoy me:

Service Dept looked at:
A Pillar vibration/buzzing - Service Dept couldn't find it.
Driver's side B pillar bump/knock sound - got worse after the Service Dept found it.
Window Squeak - Service Dept fixed Passenger side, but drivers side remains.
Rear Seat clip broken - Service supposedly replace the clip but now you have to thump the seat down hard to make it clip down.

Not yet had looked at:
Plastic trim on boot is squeaking.
Passenger door panel vibrates/buzzes.

The 2005 models were supposed to be the best builds yet. I didn't expect any of these problems at all.

It's upsetting to have all these annoyances in a car you really wanted for such a long time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I picked up my '05 MCS yesterday - the ride home was approx 250 miles. About 40 miles into the trip a loud squealing sound started coming from the passenger side of the engine. No warning lights or anything, just this hideous screech - like you'd expect to hear on an old Ford Pinto or something. I dropped it at the local dealer this morning, they're not sure what it is and I haven't heard from them at all today. I told them to keep it until it's right, I'm not driving around in a brand new car that sounds like it's got a wounded cat caught in the engine. I haven't noticed any other bumps or squeaks, but I'll look closer now - if I ever get my car back. :(

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Took mine in because the drivers window was making a squeaking noise and got it back with both sides squeaking and a request to bring it in the following week to get the window regulators replaced. Since this has been done, they are fine now - touch wood!!

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spf said:
Took mine in because the drivers window was making a squeaking noise and got it back with both sides squeaking and a request to bring it in the following week to get the window regulators replaced. Since this has been done, they are fine now - touch wood!!
Did they sqeak when going up and down or just when driving?

·
The Mini In ME
130 Posts
Still Goin'

Picked up OB on 8/2. Now have 1900+ miles.

Absolutely no problems ( knock on wood ).

No squeaks, rattles, rolls, lurks, leaks, or intermittent 'things' .

As I posted somewhere else a while back, these are machines and there are bound to be things that are not quite right. As long as it's not a shoddy thing, I can put up with little annoyances, as long as they get fixed or adjusted.

Good luck to all. ;) ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
squeaky...

my vent (large one on top of the dash) vibrates badly, and sounds like my passenger HK speaker is blown(i read on this board that it is likely just vibrating, there is a supposed dealer fix for that.) and for some reason the tires wildly spin when i take off in 1st gear :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
fastford347 said:
my vent (large one on top of the dash) vibrates badly, and sounds like my passenger HK speaker is blown(i read on this board that it is likely just vibrating, there is a supposed dealer fix for that.) and for some reason the tires wildly spin when i take off in 1st gear :cool:
I am having Dynamat installed on Saturday that will hopefully take car of that same exact speaker problem. I dont think I'll be into the dealer until my 10K service, so I opted to go this route in hopes it would not only fix that but also improve the sound quality of the HK (which, admittedly, is pretty damn good to begin with). I'll post again with results.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hammer said:
I picked up my '05 MCS yesterday - the ride home was approx 250 miles. About 40 miles into the trip a loud squealing sound started coming from the passenger side of the engine. No warning lights or anything, just this hideous screech - like you'd expect to hear on an old Ford Pinto or something. I dropped it at the local dealer this morning, they're not sure what it is and I haven't heard from them at all today. I told them to keep it until it's right, I'm not driving around in a brand new car that sounds like it's got a wounded cat caught in the engine. I haven't noticed any other bumps or squeaks, but I'll look closer now - if I ever get my car back. :(

What happened???!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmmm...

Although my MCS won't be delivered until Feb or March '05...the continuing problems that some of you are having have me a bit worried. Are they serious enough to stay away from a Mini? I have determined it is my best choice for a variety of reasons, but I certainly don't want the problems as the closest dealer is over an hour away and it is still a substantial investment although less than other great sports cars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Andromcs said:
Hmmm...

Although my MCS won't be delivered until Feb or March '05...the continuing problems that some of you are having have me a bit worried. Are they serious enough to stay away from a Mini? I have determined it is my best choice for a variety of reasons, but I certainly don't want the problems as the closest dealer is over an hour away and it is still a substantial investment although less than other great sports cars.

Thanks!
Trust me, you'll love your new Mini. The problem with these Forums is that you will see a lot of problems listed - this is a faults and fixes area after all. However, go and look on any Audi, VW or BMW forum and you will find that they too will have many reported faults.

When I first ordered my 02 Cooper, I looked on this forum and nearly cancelled my order as there were so many problems listed. However, I'm glad I didn't as, although I had a few niggles, it didn't have anything like the number of problems other people have reported. My 04 Cooper was even better and it was like driving a completely different car. It is true to say that BMW have really worked on the build quality and the cars rolling off the line now are much better than the early builds.

There are loads of people out there with fault free Minis, so you go ahead and look forward to your new car - it will be worth the wait. :D

Cheers,

Coopergeezer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up/collected my 05 MCS CR/W Monday evening. Only 260 miles on it. So far so good. Well, I have the 04 cupholder, and the passenger seat back at the top of the seat popped out of that cheap plastic "kick plate" on the back of the seat. Gave it a good hug and it has stayed the way it was probably envisioned by the designers--not separating from the plastic/or whatever that stuff is.

BIG PROBLEM! Staying under 4,500 RPM's. I will never be able to hold back till 1,200 miles ;) Nick

·
I will crush you
555 Posts
I am curious about my steering situation. When going perfectly straight ahead the steering wheel is tilted slightly to the right. When I am turning left at high speeds (>40mph) the steering weight is much heavier than when turing right at the same speed. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
195 Posts
same

Poisonedwell said:
I am curious about my steering situation. When going perfectly straight ahead the steering wheel is tilted slightly to the right. When I am turning left at high speeds (>40mph) the steering weight is much heavier than when turing right at the same speed. What could be the problem?

My steering wheel is also slightly to the right but I haven´t noticed a difference in weight. I have heard many people saying that their new car got a slight off center steering wheel so I guess it is rather common and nothing to wory about. I just checked on straights that the car went straight if u let go of the steering wheel and it is just fine. If the car pulls to the left or right then u should get it fixed, otherwise it is ok. From what I know, the "chain" of parts from the steering wheel to the tyres are rather complex so it can be hard to get a perfect in center steering wheel, and also when u drive it the steering might "settle it self" and then u might get some off center stuff but it is normal. I think u should just check if the car goes straight like I said and if the steering feels good then it is good :) .

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poisonedwell said:
It sounds like your alignment is off. My 04 MCS came from the factory with bad alignment. The steering wheel definitely tilted to one side when going straight on the highway. The dealer adjuseted the alignment, and everything was fine afterwards.

A couple of years ago, my old BMW was aligned by a shop with bad alignment spec. There definitely was a difference between turning left and turning right. Since the MINI front suspension is based on the 3-series suspension, I wouldn't be surprised that bad alignment is the cause of your problem. Take your car to your dealer and have them check your alignment.

·
Registered
111 Posts
fastford347 said:
After having the Dynamat installed, I think I am fairly certain that my speaker is blown. I know folks in the other thread are insisting they're not, but I inspected the plastic rivets holding the speaker in place very carefully and it was all pretty solid. Nor does it seem to get any better should I press on the door in various places to try and make the rattle stop (which shouldn't even be an issue now with Dynamat). I think it's a fairly safe bet at this point the speaker is actually blown, now I just wonder if that all comes out of my pocket since it probably isn't covered under any kind of warranty correct?

Unbelievably enough I couldn't get it to replicate the sound when I took it to Best Buy's audio "pros" for the Dynamat. But shortly after leaving, the warbling / rattle came back in full effect. I had the install guy take another listen upon returning to the store and he granted me the honor of paying attention for all of one second. He quickly asked me to turn it down and then said it was the speaker, and that it was my fault for turning up the bass too loud because "those paper factory speakers can't handle bass". I wanted to smack him upside the head with the Harman Kardon speaker grill, but instead just looked at him like he had two heads and replied "Really? The speaker can't handle the bass response at the factory setting, barely turned up at all? That makes sense." What a bunch of jerks.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
atmtn said:
I couldn't get it to replicate the sound when I took it to Best Buy's audio "pros" for the Dynamat. But shortly after leaving, the warbling / rattle came back in full effect.
Then it is not blown. See what 50 cents worth of felt did for me in the H/K thread, I did it yesterday and it is 100% fixed. Well worth the try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
no problems yet with my 2005

Hi All,

No problems yet with my 2005 (still breaking in). Just wanted to reassure people that there are problem-free 2005's out there. The build seems pretty solid, I love the sound of the closing doors! A nice, solid deep thud :)

lgm

·
Registered
111 Posts
jwardell said:
Then it is not blown. See what 50 cents worth of felt did for me in the H/K thread, I did it yesterday and it is 100% fixed. Well worth the try.
Thanks man, I'll definitely give a shot. The pictures will certainly be a big help. Kinda sad that I'll have to pull off the door panel now after trying to successfully avoid it by having Best Buy install the Dynamat, but after watching them do it, I am less worried about it being too tricky.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.