MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 2006 MIni Seven home from work this evening, came off the M25 and pulled away from the traffic lights, went to change gear at about 5000 revs, then, the damn thing wouldn't move, stuck in first, couldn't move forward, managed to limp round to a roundabout, just, then nothing. BMW assist came out thinking it's the linkage that had died, but he now says it's the actual gearbox thats dead. The car's done around 34,000 and so far has been trouble free, it's under warrenty so won't cost me a penny and good old BMW are bringing me a loan car in the morning but I can't stop thinking it's odd. I drive it keenly but surely a car of this age shouldn't suffer problems like this? it's only been averaging low thirties MPG over a mixed run of A-roads and relativly clear M-Way around 85Mphm, - is this normal MPG??
Also suffer from squeaking seatbelt, and condensation on the inner windows. other than that a fun little motor car...

any response very welcome.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
298 Posts
2006 models are post midlands gearbox models, and ive not heard of many other prblems with the others, so id say its a bit odd too, but then gearboxes do go sometimes, at least u ent got to pay for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

The Seven's been in the garage for a couple of days, I've just had a call from BMW, they've taken the gearbox out and the clutch and have found that the gearbox is fine but the clutch is excessively worn which is the problem, not the gearbox, they claim this is wear and tear and that I would be charged for the replacement, but the engineer is going to contact BMW and try and get a "goodwill gesture" price. Normally they charge £620 for a fitted clutch. last time i replaced a clutch was years ago on a MK2 golf GTi and it cost around £200, so I've got no idea what sort of price I should settle for, or if I should at all, I don't understand how it could wear out so quickly (34k)
I'm going to have to change the car at some point as my Fiancés pregnant with our first child and we'll need a slightly larger car so I wonder if i should look to change it now and buy a new car from them now?

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome,

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engineer called me back to say BMW were NOT going to pay for the clutch as it's "wear and tear" at 34k! they want to charge me £1,004.59 for replacement clutch, the £620 price is just for the clutch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
gutted.....yeah i had a gearbox replaced as a goodwill gesture so it saved me alot of hassle, if i hadnt i never would have been able to keep my car!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts