MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my Cooper S has recently started to make a noise when starting from cold. It’s hard to describe but is a bit like when you crunch a gear change. It is for about a second and the noise goes away. Any ideas where to start? It’s difficult to pinpoint as it only does it once a day when engine is cold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got my wife to start it whilst I listened with the bonnet up and it seems to be coming from the top of the engine. Bit of a rattley sound and literally lasts a second. If I turn engine off and back on it doesn’t do it again

·
Registered
07 R56 S
193 Posts
Hi all, my Cooper S has recently started to make a noise when starting from cold. It’s hard to describe but is a bit like when you crunch a gear change. It is for about a second and the noise goes away. Any ideas where to start? It’s difficult to pinpoint as it only does it once a day when engine is cold.
Betcha any its the chain tensioner at the beginning of failure

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took the car to a garage last week and turns out it was low on oil. The dipstick that was in the car was almost impossible to read (springy dipstick that clean oil doesn’t show up on very well). They changed the dipper for a revised version. Must check the oil frequently now to monitor how much it burns but they said these cars do get through it... checked cam chain and no issues with that

·
Registered
07 R56 S
193 Posts
took the car to a garage last week and turns out it was low on oil. The dipstick that was in the car was almost impossible to read (springy dipstick that clean oil doesn’t show up on very well). They changed the dipper for a revised version. Must check the oil frequently now to monitor how much it burns but they said these cars do get through it... checked cam chain and no issues with that
Low oil .....pressure late to the tensioner......I've spent 30,9000 on this shit.......pay attention.

·
Registered
07 R56 S
193 Posts
not to be rude but....do not trust t6he dealer ............PERIOD...a cold start even 3 liters low should not make a rattle ....the rattle is due to starvation somewhere and the chain tens is a perfect example......Pull the V cover and check pLASTIC TOP GUIDE ...oops ....if not perfectly aligned with chain at top ....this is due to a slack chain momentarily curling /climbing off the top sprocket and pushing the guide out of the way...(it has to)......this is probably the VERY earliest insight/ warning that one can get regarding a timing set that that ALWAYS FAILS....not if...but when.....if you can catch it at this VERY EARLY stage ui can prob replace only the tensioner..(get a Cloyes)....best regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It went to an independent Mini guy and he knows his stuff. They had to put 3 litres of oil in and its super quiet now. I’ll keep monitoring it though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts