MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
its highly unlikely you will get any justice for this because of the 1000s of failures. as siad on this forum and many others the timing chain guide rails vanos solenoids and oil consumption are all common issues.

oil pumps are also at borrowed time after 100k :serious:

with all do respect you should of read up about the issues before buying the car.
I disagree, Australian consumer law provides very specific conditions which must be met by manufacturers of products sold in Australia. The 1000's of failures is clear evidence in my opinion that BMW have sold products with known defects here and I recall reading that there is currently a class action against BMW in this regard. From memory Maurice Blackburn are representing the plaintiffs, so it may be worthwhile giving one of their offices a ring before you decide to cop being fobbed off by BMW or the dealer.

·
MINI Technician Sydney
26 Posts
Hi There
I have had timing tensioner and timing chain issues on my mini cooper s clubman chilli 2009. Ive had a case at the tribunal open against Bmw and they have offered to fix timing at their cost at last mediation. I want to know if they are using new modified parts as the parts in this generation are known defective, and if so how are they going now with new modified part? Thanks and regards Sophia
BMW are only going to fit the same parts into the car as far as the guides go, the chain tensioner may be an updated unit providing more tension stopping the chain from chattering around and breaking the plastic guides

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All

Any update on this thread? Are there any other chain tensioners / guides available on the market that can stop this occurring?

Cheers - Josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I recently purchased a 2009 cooper s cabrio. It only had 47000km on it. The guy I bought it from had it serviced regularly at bmw and had a road worthy done with them 2 days before I purchased it. I started hearing a noise last week and the car started sounding like a tractor when I first started it. This went away after about 5 minutes. I thought it may have been because I went through a very large puddle on Sunday when it was pelting down rain. The noise did not disappear and 3 day's later the engine light came on. I took the car to bmw thinking that there may be water in the turbo or something to this effect. They informed me today that "Top chain guide mechanically failed, disturbing engine timing large amount of slack on chain drive, thus loud rattling noise evident"
It is going to cost $4000 to fix. When I asked what would cause this they said using wrong engine oil or not serviced correctly.
I contacted the lawyers mentioned in earlier feeds in this forum to see if there had been any success with getting bmw to fix the problem. The lawyers mentioned said that they had never had a lawsuit against Bmw I then contacted fair trading and as I only just purchased the car I have had no dealings with bmw personally so can't have a case against them. Plus I purchased from Victoria and live in NSW. I then contacted bmw in Newcastle again where the car now is. I explained that if the problem was caused by using wrong oil or bad servicing it was all done at bmw. They are speaking to BMW to see if anything can be done but I'm not holding my breath.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do. Don't have the money to fix it. ?? I have only done 5000km on the car since buying it 2 months ago

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The only cure is to avoid all gen 2 petrol engines like the herpies and instead settle for a r53 cooper s

Or a DIESEL second gen r55 r56

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
MINI Technician Sydney
26 Posts
Here is a timing chain i replaced recently, the Chain had completely snapped from being driven for too long with damaged guides/low oil, it even snapped teeth off the Crank sprocket which i've never seen before.

Did not bend any engine valves which i think was very lucky, i replaced the Chain/guides/tensioner/etc, removed the sump and extracted all the broken pieces there were many. replaced the oil and filter twice to flush any pieces and tested it - all ok.

customer was quoted by a workshop 11k plus labour to replace the entire engine, i repaired it within a week for much less and it runs like new.

Send me a message on here if you have this problem, I'm located in Sydney.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Here is a timing chain i replaced recently, the Chain had completely snapped from being driven for too long with damaged guides/low oil, it even snapped teeth off the Crank sprocket which i've never seen before.

Did not bend any engine valves which i think was very lucky, i replaced the Chain/guides/tensioner/etc, removed the sump and extracted all the broken pieces there were many. replaced the oil and filter twice to flush any pieces and tested it - all ok.

customer was quoted by a workshop 11k plus labour to replace the entire engine, i repaired it within a week for much less and it runs like new.

Extremely luck that is the only damage to the engine and the 11k response to me is disgusting, we all know they want to sell you a new car but 11k for this repair is nothing short of extortion.

·
MINI Technician Sydney
26 Posts
Extremely luck that is the only damage to the engine and the 11k response to me is disgusting, we all know they want to sell you a new car but 11k for this repair is nothing short of extortion.
to be fair it wasn't taken to a dealer it was taken to a private workshop, i think they suspected the engine was beyond repair or didn't want to do the job so quoted a whole engine instead.

I think that the engine can bend valves when badly out of time but perhaps since the chain completely snapped the valves didn't hold max lift that's the only reasoning i can come up with!

·
MINI Technician Sydney
26 Posts

Also I can either use Genuine or identical non-genuine parts, timing chains in the N14 should really be a service item - unfortunately!

If anyone needs help or advice let me know.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts

what tends to happen is around 60-80k the chain is so far stretched the tensioner cant cope with it and allows the chain to lash and snap the top guide off, this metal and plastic top guide drops down on to the bottom sprocket and this gets jammed ie crankshaft wont turn at this point and the momentum left in the chain and camshafts and the damage to the chain at bottom snaps them rarely, timing chains on the turbo engines and 1.4 engines both around 60k and the chain is around end of life,, your lucky the top guide jammed the crankshaft hence why it had no valve damage, when it falls the other direction they tend to bend things.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
22 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing