MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just driving back home no signs of problems until I came to a stop light then I pressed the clutch in and it would not go into gear turned the car off put it in gear and took off no issues until I would come to another stop had to turn the car off to put it in gear and they all worked fine, got it home parked it put it on ramps to see any signs of leaks none anywhere master cylinder still full of fluid, so we changed the transmission fluid that was my first guess and what came out was dark filled it with new gear oil 90W still the same problem , mechanic said it was he slave cylinder put a new one in but we didnt compress it when we put it in , we attempted to bleed it after about an hour of bleeding the clutch felt like it still had air in it , we took the slave out to try to compress it but noticed that the shaft was bent (it was autozones best ) we are figuring that thing was just junk and we are replacing it with a better one maybe it was just bad. when we put a new one in today we are gonna get a power bleeder see if that is hopefully the problem,
I turn off the car put it in first start her up n I can go thru the gears fine its just when I come to a stop that it wont go into gear so I have to turn the car off n go on my way again.
power bled the slave and it is doing the same thing the clutch still feels mushy like there is still air in the system and the slave is not pushing the lever far enough to engage or disengage the clutch while the car is on, the next we are going to do is replace the master cylinder under the dash any thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Definitely sounds like a clutch issue, but if the slave is bled, the only thing it can be is a bent clutch bearing fork.
Is there access to see into the bell housing?
I know Nissan gearboxs used to bend/snap forks.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
sounds like the pressure plate on clutch as corroded and hard to push on this over loads the the slave cylinder a good clutch you should be able to push it in with 3 fingers easy, it should also bite 2/3rds up on travel.. another common failure is dual mass flywheel the centre pivot fails and moves the travel inwards this puts the spring fingers on back plate the wrong angle makes them very stiff.,,,, company called CALDER CLUTCHES in the midlands of the uk do cheap hand made refurb clutch kits £80 ish they also have a really good name and do a good job etc, link below

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like the pressure plate on clutch as corroded and hard to push on this over loads the the slave cylinder a good clutch you should be able to push it in with 3 fingers easy, it should also bite 2/3rds up on travel.. another common failure is dual mass flywheel the centre pivot fails and moves the travel inwards this puts the spring fingers on back plate the wrong angle makes them very stiff.,,,, company called CALDER CLUTCHES in the midlands of the uk do cheap hand made refurb clutch kits £80 ish they also have a really good name and do a good job etc, link below

I am in the USA though :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts