MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am after a little help from anyone who may have done this before.

I recently rebuilt my cylinder head, replaced my timing chain, valve stem seals, head gasket and other seals. To get to the stem seals we had to remove both in intake and exhaust cams including the variable valve cam, rockers and springs.

We put everything back together in the correct place from what we remembered. The car started okay but was a bit rough at first. This leveled out the course of a few mins, it did however splutter then stall, at this point we didn't think anything of it as we've just put the car back together.

Over the next few days of driving carefully I noticed the cars coolant was getting very hot and begining to over heat when I came to a stop the car spluttered and stalled. We found this was down to an airlock and realeased the air as the coolant was at 114c. I have since been checking the coolant and occasionally opening and closing the bleed valve after a journey and the car is up to temperature.

After doing some more research I found that apparently once you have changed the timing chain and played/moved the valvetronic cam that you're meant to 'relearn the valve actuator' is this true?

If so, I will look into getting this done. I am wondering if this could be the cause of the occasional spluttering and stall once the car is up to temperature, odly enough the idle is perfect when cold. I am also not getting any different codes on my OBD scanner just a code for P1105d which has been on the car since I purchased it.

Has anyone had this issue before? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,
Dylan

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
actuator motor is set with a Allen key when installed back in to head, worth dropping some thread lock on the threads stops them from winding back out again, as for sputter when hot but not hen cold this could be due to 02 sensors switch closed loop when up to temp before the run open loop at a preset map for cold running, so common for 02 sensor issues after a head gasket issue also the ecu relearns the adaptations
could do a power latch as per below. link,
https://www.mini2.com/threads/how-to-reset-ecu-s-power-latch-or-power-down-for-mini-with-start-stop-button.354765/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actuator motor is set with a Allen key when installed back in to head, worth dropping some thread lock on the threads stops them from winding back out again, as for sputter when hot but not hen cold this could be due to 02 sensors switch closed loop when up to temp before the run open loop at a preset map for cold running, so common for 02 sensor issues after a head gasket issue also the ecu relearns the adaptations
could do a power latch as per below. link,
https://www.mini2.com/threads/how-to-reset-ecu-s-power-latch-or-power-down-for-mini-with-start-stop-button.354765/
Hi Mike,
Thank you for that info, I will give it a go and see what happens. I'll report back with my findings :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Dylan Selway
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing