MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Jerry Kraus
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife just acquired a 2007 Mini Cooper S with 28,000 miles on it. She has not had it even a month and the check engine light came on with 2 of the same codes: "PO341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range / Performance Bank 1 or Single Sensor"

I also noticed that when she drives around a corner the engine oil symbol (oil can) light would come on for a second. I looked it up and the manual said add a quart of oil, so I did. I've never had a car start burning oil at 30,000 miles, is that normal for a 2007 Mini Cooper S?

Thank you all in advance for your help...

Attachments

· Registered
13,577 Posts
Hi All,

My wife just acquired a 2007 Mini Cooper S with 28,000 miles on it. She has not had it even a month and the check engine light came on with 2 of the same codes: "PO341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range / Performance Bank 1 or Single Sensor"

I also noticed that when she drives around a corner the engine oil symbol (oil can) light would come on for a second. I looked it up and the manual said add a quart of oil, so I did. I've never had a car start burning oil at 30,000 miles, is that normal for a 2007 Mini Cooper S?

Thank you all in advance for your help...
all makers except honda do this trick these days ie designed low friction bores and pistons and use oil vag groups v6 petrols are silly for using oil 1 litre to 200 miles common, prince engines use a tad as well,, its worth doing a seafoam in engine oil run car for 100 miles this will clean out any crud in piston rings, as you have run it low on oil chances are damage is done rule of thumb when light comes up on dash for oil pressure its to late,
this all said need to have timing chain checked also need to know what the vanos sprockets are doing when can running,, its very common that oil starved engines will wear the metal oil control rings inside the camshafts on first journals that send oil to the vanos sprockets these sprockets alter the cam timing from oil pressure,, you might be luck and oil and never let oil get lower than full mark again,, little tip if you co to europarts and ask for 5/30 low saps oil suitable for mini cooper s they do a 20 litre drum for around £45 ie 4 gallons £11 ish per gallon of oil.. beats the £35 that some pay for a 4 litre can of other branded oil.

Reactions: Jerry Kraus
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.