MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have a 2008 Clubman that is sporting the three warning lights indicating that there's a speed sensor problem.
INPA flings up 5D8C raddrehzahlfuehler vorne links offen (wheel speed front left open).
New sensor has not fixed the problem but when using INPA to check the wheel speeds when stationary it will give 156 mph for left front and 0 mph for the rest - fiddling with the connector can sometimes get left front down to 0mph. Looking at the wires it looks as though the loom side connector has been twisted around a lot and the wires have got damaged.
I cannot find any listing for the loom side here - any ideas?

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
off top of my head i believe you can get the wiring for bmw will need a reg number try if in uk ocean bmw at plymouth i've been using them for years and really helpful and to be honest the prices have been really good as well on most things, failing that could just replace the pug with a universal plug or even solder it together is not unknown if wiring piece is silly money etc,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi - I've not had any joy with realoem. Dealer thinks maybe 61119150018 (DSC/ABS repair wiring) or they can give me a part harness for £££ that has the loom side plug on it, I've found older BMW part numbers via bimmerforums but there's a different fitting/plug shape so no joy.
Current thoughts are to confirm that it is the loom side plug (once the rain goes off!) and then probably go for a cut and splice/solder at the joint or (if we can find a break in the wires) cut and rejoin the wire.

I'll let you know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kind of got a 'non' solution here and wondering if it's damp, low battery voltage or some other electrical gremlin:

'New' plug sourced from a breakers as suggested but Mini had also been sitting idle for some time (done maybe 30 miles in a month) & weather here has been cold, damp and windy. Swapping plugs and a new ABS sensor/the old ABS sensor (all this at a standstill) would still throw either the error above or a 5E00 (short circuit) depending on whether the sensor is plugged in or not. Error would come on almost as soon as the ignition switched on or the car started - no using brakes, moving steering, driving around etc etc.

Checking the battery voltage at this point showed it on the low side (12.09V)

Took the car for a bit of a blast and cleared down the error six or seven times until it failed to reappear. Clearing it down parked with foot on brake pedal does give a small 'clunk' from under the bonnet with a corresponding nudge on the pedal. Did some stop/start stuff too. Then did about five miles home still no repeat error. By this point engine is lovely and warm and battery charged. Need a few days to check the condition of the battery with the car parked up.

So I'm thinking either that there's some sort of issue caused by the car sitting idle : damp or a low battery?

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
engine not running 12.9volts is good battery with engine running 14-14.9volts is correct on a fully charged battery lights off.
damp or wet or cold should have no influence on it, need to test the circuit from abs pump to wheel sensor, can check the wheels sensors by voltmeter set to milivolts and across the pins of sensor and rotate the wheel should give a very low voltage, its likely its a abs ecu fault or the wet pack on the pump is also likely and does happen more times than not, and the r56 its will need to be coded to car with cars vin number otherwise wont work,
PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 dale he is called he can clone all kinds of ecu's etc save hundreds ie can post what ever ecu's he needs to program etc he will tell you what he needs etc i use him him all the time he's the guy garages go to when they have electronic repairs that they cant fix cant speak more highly of the guy,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - looking like it may be the ABS/DCS unit as now (after clearing down codes) 5E01 is permanent. 5E10, 5D90 & 5E00 will then come up after a few minutes (whether driving or stationary) plus airbag light (but no restraint errors). Dug down to the ABS/CDS unit and when the multi-plug was disconnected found the inside to be damp/wet and dirty. After Christmas will get the whole lot cleaned out and refitted see if that helps - otherwise I reckon I'll be speaking to Dale.

Happy Christmas

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
if got wet inside it nailed wont get that back working again,, i have a habit of covering them with grease keeps a barrier between the water and electronics

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe got lucky on this (time will tell) got hold of some decent contact cleaner and blitzed the hell out of the male plug on the ABS module - got a lot of dust/grime out of there. Bottom four or five pins needed some light scraping to clear corrosion as did the same pin holes in the multi plug. Dried the whole lot out with a hot air heater, reassembled and all looks good (touch wood).

Looking at the position of the module, the lack of engine undertray on this car and the fact that we hit some serious water on the M74 in Scotland a few months back then I'm not that surpised that the plug got a good soaking - maybe I should invest in a new undertray?

Thanks for all the help & advice. Have a Happy Hogmanay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts