MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang!!!

I've been learking on MINI2 for several months and have thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I never thought that my first post would be to report a problem but rather to share photos and happy moments with all of you. After significant research, ordering and waiting for the arrival of our new 2008 MCS we took delivery. Yippee Yahoo!!!

Ahhhhhh but not so fast... Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow me to share a “Let’s Motor” moment.

At the MINI dealer getting acquainted with our 2008 MCS: During the first once-over things were going quite well until my wife said “why is there moisture in the (left rear) light assembly?” The MA comes over, tries to wipe it off (the moisture is on the inside) and then opens the boot. We lift up the rubber boot mat and the carpet seems moist in spots but when the panel is lifted up (where the tools are) there is a puddle of water to the left of center. The MA immediately says that the boot may have not been completely shut when the car was washed. Ok I said, that's plausible, but how does that account for the moisture in the light assembly? We take note of the water and move on...After completing the exterior inspection (not without other issues that I'll discuss at another time & post).

Time for the test drive: We hop in the MCS, buckle up and guess what? My wife says there's more water! This time ther's lots of water droplets on top right and bottom of the rubber floor mat on the passenger side foot well. The MA immediately comes over and begins to inspect the carpet at the TOP of the rubber mat but does not lift up the bottom of the floor mat or make an attempt to remove it (BIG MISTAKE!) and reiterates the car wash alibi and then on to ‘the water must have been on our feet’ story (it was a bright, hot, sunny, 90 degree day and the pavement was bone dry). I reached up near the top of the floor mat, carpet and behind the glove box an all seemed well… Again, we took note of the water issue (as well as a few more minor issues) and we’re off to a rather brief test drive.

After completing the test drive, interior / exterior inspection and documenting what appeared to be minor water issue along with a few additional dealer IOU's we agreed to take delivery (after all, NO automobile is absolutely perfect) paid for the MCS and attached the plates. Since I won the coin toss I had the honor of driving our new MCS home. (Of course, singing all the way while getting phenomenal mileage I might add). Upon arrival, I parked the MCS in our garage and we went out to dinner with our friends. The night was a delight, lots of food, drink and sharing our MINI adventure with our close friends while knowing full well that by nights end they too would be making arrangements of acquiring their very own MINI.

The next morning, I'm up early and out to the garage to marvel at our new toy. I turned on the garage lights and there was what appeared to be thin coating of condensation on the windows. I'm thinking...well this is a first…I checked the other cars and they did not have condensation on them. I walk over to the MCS only to discover that the condensation is on the INSIDE of the MCS!!! I pulled the MCS out of the garage for more light and there was indeed interior window condensation AND a few water droplets on the rubber floor mat on the passenger side foot well. I removed the floor mat and discovered that the carpet was SOAKED!!!

The good news is that the dealer (MA & SM) have assured me that they will make the MCS perfect!

Now that the short 2008 MCS Honey Moon is over should I be anticipating a divorce?

For the record: I do not have a sun roof

So what-cha-think fellow MINIACS?

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
I really don't know how to comment on this really, as without seeing the car....

But it deffenetly seems like the dealer has been trying to fob you off on this one a little...

Check the seals but the door etc, check for rusting under the (mini) plats in the door sills. It could be this car has been flooded? Can you run the U>S equivalant of an HPI check on the car. In the U.K it is a used car check that anyone can carry out on a car by entering the cars plate details etc.

Regards,

Simon Richards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know how to comment on this really, as without seeing the car....

But it deffenetly seems like the dealer has been trying to fob you off on this one a little...

Check the seals but the door etc, check for rusting under the (mini) plats in the door sills. It could be this car has been flooded? Can you run the U>S equivalant of an HPI check on the car. In the U.K it is a used car check that anyone can carry out on a car by entering the cars plate details etc.

Regards,

Simon Richards

Hi Simon,
To clarify, our 2008 MCS is a few days old with less than 100 miles. Thank you for the reply. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
maybe its just me but i would never have accepted the car in that condition in the first place, however much i wanted it at the time!

hope they sort it out for you rapidly :)

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Apologies for my assumption that you had bought a second hand car.

As it is new then we are in a whole new ball game.

Get in touch with Mini USA and make a formal complaint. I would go as far as refusing the car. There is no way I would accept a brand new car that wasn't "perfect".

Good luck and make sure you kick and scream until justice is done!!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
As posted above, I would have never accepted it. However, now that you have, you will need to work with the dealer to get it resolved. If they do not help, I would then escalate it to MINI USA for a formal complaint. Your MINI should be perfect. Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts