MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
My sons Mini Cooper D suddenly wouldn’t go into gear after suddenly grinding at first and he could not pusH the clutch pedal down to start the car.
A mobile mechanic came out and thought it might be the clutch cylinder. He emptied the hydraulic fluid and then said no it wasn’t that ! He then disappeared and never came back, leaving the slave cylinder without any fluid !!
Since emptying the fluid the clutch pedal will now go down to the floor and the car will start but obviously no gears.
Can someone PLEASE advise me what it might be. Wondering if the clutch itself needs replacing.
My son bought his Mini with money he inherited from his grandfather who passed away late last year so the car is precious to him. He literally only had it for 2 weeks before the gears went.
I am after some solid advice so have joined the forum for some help please everyone.
Thank you in advance.
Nic Cooper

·
Registered
30 Posts
Clutch SLAVE cylinder I should have said.
i had a Dooper where the clutch fork sheared at the pivot on one side.... hence the fork was bent, not allowing the clutch to disengage.... it’s a box out job to check though.... 😰

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
its common for back plate to fail causing no travel then forced pressure from slave cylinder bends or snaps the fork in the bell housing, another common issue is dual mass fails causes same thing and once again gearbox out ,, would also when doing clutch replace the oil seal on rear crank seal and install flywheel and clutch and fork,, would also change slave and master cylinders if system has been forced from solid pedal to much,, think your mechanic knew what was coming and avoided the job by jogging on,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts