MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve recently bought a 2008 Mini Cooper and have fallen in love! The anti roll bar links and bushing have just been changed however when I drive the car over road bumps or drains for example, the car sidesteps/shimmy’s at the rear which makes me a little nervous, especially ahead of motorway driving at higher speeds as this effects the steering slightly. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. The back end steps out over bumps then seems to correct itself, it’s like a quick movement at the rear of the car. It is not crabbing. Would you still suggest this?

·
R57 Virgin
18 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2009 MCS, felt like the car was getting knocked in the rear every time I went over a bump.
I put the car on a lift and a found lot of play in the front and the rear control arm bushings. I swapped them both out, fixed the problem. Same road, same speed, no side shimmy or unsettled jumps. I upgraded to non OEM bushings, used Power Flex front and rear.

Regarding the alignment, most shops will check and alignment for 1/3 of the price of actually doing one.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
I think I might know what that is. Does it feel like a flight of trust when you pass someone on the highway like it swaying in the back also?
Mine did that when I first bought it back in 2010. What would cause that exactly I could not tell you. What I replaced and it never did it again way. Powerflex bushing pressed into the four lateral bars that connect to the rear spindles. 8 total or you can buy into the aftermarket lateral bars they sell. I would only get the "Maxx" version or something like that you don't want helm joints back there. But I went the cheapest way and just bought powerflex bushings.
Then I bought rear trailing arm bushing from powerflex also. Now I know they sell one of my favorite brands for rear trailing arms these days they did not back then in 2010 for mini cooper R56. But powerflex bushing worked so perfect it is not even funny. When I pulled the stock trailing arm bushing out they were so soft and the trailing arm by itself would wiggle when not connected to the spindle. I just put in the powerflex in there and it was much more robust for just being one bolt into a bushing connecting the entire trailing arm. "I saw a difference before even attaching it to the spindle.
Then I went with the hotchkis rear sway bar. I think that might of solved it(highway sway and looseness) And I set the swaybar setting in the middle never had a problem sense.
Now when I switch lanes at highway speeds if I ever do again because my present problem. But it does not do that at all. It is dead nuts where I steer it. Past semi trucks on narrow road does not cause wind shear to the rear and when I come back into the right lane. Like all mini coopers steering tighter in the front than anything really(R56 voted fastest front wheel drive car in early 2020). It will go into the right lane and I will proudly right the white line a bit with the left side tires; where as that used to give me so many problems with my rear wheel and suspension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts