MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S , Ive had it for about a week and all of a sudden the engine light has come on. The codes are reading P1479/P0420. From looking around on the net i believe P1479 is a air leak and tends to point at PCV hose. Would this have caused the other code P0420 to occur?

Ive taken it to a mechanic and was told to replact the cat, however the mechanic didnt even inspect the vehicle....

Apologies i am not engine savvy. Any advice would be helpful!!! thank you

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
would be checking the timing chain first job if timing is out will be the reason for cat issues and 02 sensor issues sometimes after chain is fixed and a good hard run for a few days with cataclean in the fuel will bring it all back again, some dontt, need to check the timing chain vag petrol engines do the same trick and same codes together when fsi and tfsi engines do their chains around 100k, the mini chains barely last 60.000 miles,
the point here if chain and replace the bi-product of it being stretched ie the chain it will in a couple of years be same issue again or chain by that time will slip teeth and bend all the valves ,,
also they do crack the breather pipe from rear of rocker cover to bottom of inlet manifold, £30 new one from main dealers and have been updated due to cracking with solid ones,, do not be tempted to fit rubber pipe instead these suck in and cause big issues when do ie engine will mush oil out oil seals etc due to pressure in crankcase at worst,
live data run worth doing if both voltages on both sensors are the same then cat has burnt away, if no volts on any of live pins then that sensor is screwed.. upstream sensor should be 0.1v to 1.0v but spends must of its time around 0.45v while engine is in closed loop,, ie engine up t running temps after a 5 mile 3k revs drive as to induce heat in to the system,,,
if dont understand this then bottom line is is this, 1st check timing chain must do job.. 2nd breather pipe, 3rd live data run and see whats what, any good tech will know all this

1 - 2 of 2 Posts