MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
then its not that then, try unplugging the maff and take for a drive does it improve it if so might be that, live data it see what the rail pressure is and injector outputs, would also check timing belt not stretched or slack, also the link chain between cams,, fuel tank venting system could loosen the filler off and allow air in see f that improves it, might be worn out pump high pressure one maybe,, also live data the coolant temps see if running hot if is i have seen this cause heat spikes that car reduces fuelling when hot,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for that Mike, unplugged the maf and noticed one connectors splayed open, closed this up and so far so good after a week.
I took our 1.4 petrol r56 for mot this week and it failed the emissions spectacularly, I wasn't too suprised as the previous owner had run it around on 3 and half cylinders for a while with a chipped exhaust valve. I replaced the valve, reseated the rest with new stem seals and chain and guides, should have done the cat then! Anyway remover the front of the car again to fit new cat a o2 sensors and retest next week. What reading should I be getting front the 02 sensors now?
20200208_113641.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
after fitting cat and sensors good idea to reset adaptions and then a couple of good runs 10 miles of different revs and get it all nice and hot etc takes a few runs for it to settle down i have found,, also a very common issue is pcv valve leaks and causes lean running or intermittent miss on idle, sometimes when running if push down on rocker cover pcv valve hard and listen to engine if changes tone chances are the valve needs replacing, ie new rocker cover or can get a repair kit from china,, that said nothing is being shipped from china it seals at mo as corvirus, 0.3v to 0.9 volts is within range the upstream more fast changing the down stream slower is the norm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks again Mike,
Probably does need adaptions reseting as this wasn't done when I did the cam chain, but when I tried using the scan tool to reset, it was saying something about on or off a terminal 15, not sure what it meant so didn't do it. it does run smoothly at tick over , 600 or 700 rpm. I have got a new pcv Valve which I bought pre corrona, just haven't fitted yet. I have seen you talk about a manual reset by disconnecting the battery, but got lost when you said turn the ignition off as it has no key and you can't get the fob out with the battery disconnected.

Even with the emissions off the scale, it didn't log any faults.

Thanks Ian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Mike,

The wife has been driving the 1.6d cooper around steadily for the past few weeks with no problems, so decided to take if for a run and push it a bit to see if all was well. But sadly it still does it under load, and when I say under load, I mean when turbo boost is at its max, it does seem like it sensing an over boost and shutting down momentarily. If this was the case would it show a fault code?

Thanks Ian

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Hi Mike,

The wife has been driving the 1.6d cooper around steadily for the past few weeks with no problems, so decided to take if for a run and push it a bit to see if all was well. But sadly it still does it under load, and when I say under load, I mean when turbo boost is at its max, it does seem like it sensing an over boost and shutting down momentarily. If this was the case would it show a fault code?

Thanks Ian
normally yes it does,, i know a guy on here had same issues with clubman 2008 1,6 hdi think that turned out being the throttle pedal like it had a dead spot on the variable resister on it,, that had no codes when done it,, his was only when throttle was pushed hard down to floor... reason it had no codes was the ecu thought it was just where the throttle was as such,, other things ca be worn turbo or dpf blocked up and carbon has clogged up the vnt nozzles on turbo but that normally gives a plausibility code or over or under boost

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
normally yes it does,, i know a guy on here had same issues with clubman 2008 1,6 hdi think that turned out being the throttle pedal like it had a dead spot on the variable resister on it,, that had no codes when done it,, his was only when throttle was pushed hard down to floor... reason it had no codes was the ecu thought it was just where the throttle was as such,, other things ca be worn turbo or dpf blocked up and carbon has clogged up the vnt nozzles on turbo but that normally gives a plausibility code or over or under boost
When I bought it that's what I thought it might be with the turbo and dpf, so put a new turbo on as it was high mileage, did away with the dpf and did a dpf and egr valve delete on the ecu. I suppose I can check out the throttle vr on the scanner and see if it shows a dead spot when operating the throttle through its range.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
trouble with throttle is only does it when at certain point on most so very hard to show it,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi Mike,

I have a better scan tool now and it's coming up with a boost pressure issue, please picture below, please let me know what you think?

Thanks Ian
20200314_123532.jpg

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
deviation tends to mean leaking boost pressure from somewhere, i also notice you have glow plug faults, if you still have a dpf filter in exhaust the glow plg faults wil cause the filter to block up from lack of regen ie its switched off when such codes are stored, also when this happens the egr valve tends to get coked up and caused a boost leak in to inlet from in boost side to exhaust depending on whether throttle on or off that would be my best guess, also would do a smoke test on system see where it leaks might just be a broken pipe somewhere or common is the rubber seal rings on inlet to head where the egr metal pipe fits to inlet manifold on driver side THERE SHOULD BE A RUBBER 0-RING THESE SPLIT AND LEAK A LOT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Mike,

We have no dpf, dpf and egr delete as well. I thought this stutter problem was related to an over boost problem, as it only happens when accelerating hard. But the wife said it was worse, so took it for a drive, to find it was stuttering on only mild acceleration now and when I say stuttering, it is on off like I'm turning the key on and off. I'll have to see if I can see anythink on live data tomorrow. However it can be intermittent.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
sounds like might be a throttle pedal, or high pressure fuel pump regulation valve/stop valve, or rail pressure sensor maybe,, need to know what fuel pressure is and what it is when cuts out... if no fault codes i would take a punt at throttle pedal breaking up inside maybe,, when it cuts out does the dash switch off ie lights etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
None of the electrics go off as I've noticed, fuel lights stay on and the rpm needle doesn't drop. Haven't got to grips with new scanner yet, but I think it can record the live data.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Can you see the throttle position sensor on live data?
on some scanners you can, autocom will as will snap on or bmw insta will

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Mike

Please see picture below, fuel pressure falls off a cliff momentarily, giving the stutter . Tested the throttle position sensor, but could see any spikes on the voltage output.

Regards Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
would say not a fuelling issue, dont know what scan tool you are using and if it will cover all codes the mini/bmw system produce might not be getting all the codes,
as it misfires on 1 cylinder maybe ie the stutter part would fit to one cylinder not firing right, common are injectors or injector seals is there any carbon build up around where the injector go in to the head if so when running any spitting noises and or smoke from any of them, best way to tell in in dark and use a torch while someone revs it, the fuel rail and pump appear to match the actual and prescribed reading going by your live data in pic,, also inlet manifold rubber seals fail can cause boost issue,, when egr valve was deleted was it blanked off with a plate ie must do job also the ecu must be mapped to remove the dpf and egr software or will cause issues,
need to live data the injectors and cylinder smooth running and misfire counts etc,, autocom cdp plus is what i use a lot of snap on diagnostics at work need to read each injector and cylinder see if all 4 are doing what they should be,, a stutter or misfire when driving tends to be a single cylinder issue but can effect other cylinders in different orders if say a crank position sensor goes faulty,,, i had a car come to me a few months ago with a misfire after a timing belt was fitted hmmm blindly it would seam,,, after a load of searching for its misfire found that the reluctor ring on end of crankshaft had got very sightly damaged just enough to cause a misfire, link below for what it is have also seen them loose the coating ie coated with sealed cooper segments that react to the crank position sensor ie tells ecu where the crank is ie every time its at tdc for each piston

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, not sure where to go with it now other than find someone locally who can fully scan it. I haven't blanked the egr, but it had this problem before it had the egr delete, would of thought with the delete it wouldn't open?
It is definitely cutting out on all cylinders, you go from being pushed back in the seat to nearly headbutting the window.
Things I can see for the engine controller in live data. .
RPM
TEMP
SPECIFIED CHARGE PRESSURE
ACTUAL CHARGE PRESSURE
SPECIFIED AIR MASS
ACTUAL AIR MASS, THERE IS QUITE A VARIANCE IN THESE.
CURRANT CLOCK RATIO OF EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION
CURRENT CLOCK RATIO OF CHARGE PRESSURE ACTUATOR
CURRENT CLOCK RATIO OF FUEL QUANTITY CONTROL VALVE
INTAKE AIR TEMP, THIS CAN VARY A BIT TOO, 14 TO 20 DEGREES
FUEL TEMP AND PRESSURE.

In the maintenance section you can code injectors etc, but don't think I can read any data from the injectors.

Do you know anyone in the Chester area?

Thanks Ian

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
we map and delete dpf and egr and rolling road etc we have found that yes delete on software will prevent form working but can push past the valve as such,, hence why always blank them off,
SPECIFIED CHARGE PRESSURE
ACTUAL CHARGE PRESSURE
SPECIFIED AIR MASS
these on scanner take for a drive get a pic on a phone ,, want to see what these read when foot flat to floor at 3000 revs at peak torque and how it drops off,, could be turbo failure or turbo vac controller that lives at back of engine under the fuel rail as such ,, need to stick a vac reader on this line with t-piece monitor the vac pressures ie 25 [psi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I did record some data on that today, but I can't say
20200314_124616.jpg
what the rpm and throttle position was. I'll select those parameters tomorrow and record a run around the block. I can see crank sensor in the gear learning section, but haven't looked at this when it's running.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts