MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due to close on a 2008 Mini Cooper S, that is very clean, premium appointed and well cared for. It has 42k on it, and I had it checked out by a mechanic that works on Minis. A reasonable price and I'm planning on getting an extended warranty. But something in my gut says "beware of the rattle" So I have a few questions. 1)Is there a certain extended warranty that would cover this defect if it arises 2)Can the timing chain tensioner be preemptively replaced to avoid this problem to begin with? 3)Should I just avoid this problem all together and buy a newer model, a lastly 4)Which S models do not have this problem. According to Consumer Reports, reliability got better as of 2011.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The N14 engine has other problems besides the timing chain tensioner ... high oil consumption, high pressure fuel pump and carbon build-up on the intake valves.

A 2011 or later MCS with the N18 engine would be a "safer" choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm quickly losing faith in Minis, this might be the wrong place to say this. My nearby Mini dealer seems indifferent. They seemed puzzled when I brought up timing chain problems when visiting their showroom. Certain years 2002-2006 and 2011-2015 seem better than others. And it's hard to get an answer as to the rate of failure. So even after doing all my homework, and finding a couple of 2011 - 2013 I like, I'm still wondering who is asleep at the controls at MIni. I'm thinking of either buying a high mile 2002-2006 or an 11-13. My psyche can withstand reasonable repairs and maintenance but flying plastic shrapnel and a manufacturer not willing to claim responsibility is ludicrous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Slumbum
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing