MINI Cooper Forum banner

2009 Mini - should I or shouldn't I

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  N12B14 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, looking at buying a 2009 mini first that has 67,000 miles on the clock. It is going for £3,500.00. Just had clutch replaced and looks in good condition.

What is your thoughts? I love the car, heard Mini's are very reliable.... do you think it will last?!

Please help and let me know your thoughts :)

Lauren

#4 ·
I’ve been through this twice over the last year buying both a 1.4 One and a 1.6 Cooper from 2008/9.

The car you are looking at has a very low spec (no aircon, no alloys etc) and you can get a 1.6 Cooper (or a better specified One) for the same money. I’d strongly recommend the 1.6 has our low mileage 1.4 has developed significant engine issues (piston/bore wear) that don’t occur in the 1.6.

We bought our 1.4 One for my son to learn to drive in thinking the 1.6 Cooper wouldn’t be insurable. He’s now insuring the 1.6 himself just after passing his test and it’s only about 10% more (with a black box) and drives so much nicer and will be a better long term car for him. We still have the One and my wife loves it (despite the hideous noises from the engine!)

#5 ·
Hi Guys, looking at buying a 2009 mini first that has 67,000 miles on the clock. It is going for £3,500.00. Just had clutch replaced and looks in good condition.

What is your thoughts? I love the car, heard Mini's are very reliable.... do you think it will last?!

Please help and let me know your thoughts :)

Lauren
You probably heard wrong :ROFLMAO:.

My best and honest advice would be to get a mechanic you trust to fully check out the vehicle before you buy.

If you're in the UK should be plenty of MINIs for sale.

#6 ·
That doesn’t sound like a good deal. I recently bought a 2009 Cooper, 2 owners, 60k miles with full service history. It is fairly basic, but does have Chilli pack and air con. I paid £2700 from a small car dealer (he’d first advertised it for £3200, then reduced it to £2950 when I saw it).

#7 ·
with those miles should have a timing chain replacement in the history if not need to take that in to account, also basic spec cars dont sell well that said high spec cars are fairly limited back at that age

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.