MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 R56 Cooper S
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another post.. sorry

I have since found that my age of Mini was created without the back firing exhaust between 3 and 4k rpm. I'd like to have this.... or even eventually a tune of some sort from my exhaust.

1st things 1st.... Is there a cheaper way to get any better sound from the exhaust. ( without removing the cat )

What did BMW do to this age of car to REMOVE the backfire???? and then bring it back....

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
97 Posts
Hmmm.
I had a 09 Cooper S overnight when hunting for my current car and it popped and banged like a good un when in sport mode.(chain also rattled like a bastard)
Are you sure they removed it for those years? Heard of it being deleted with a software update when people took there cars into main dealers for service but not that certain years don't have it.
And dont apologise, thats what forums are for. :D

·
Registered
2009 R56 Cooper S
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.
I had a 09 Cooper S overnight when hunting for my current car and it popped and banged like a good un when in sport mode.(chain also rattled like a bastard)
Are you sure they removed it for those years? Heard of it being deleted with a software update when people took there cars into main dealers for service but not that certain years don't have it.
And dont apologise, thats what forums are for. :D
Seem to remember reading somewhere that BMW deleted the pop and bang but then added it again. I've tried sport mode but that made no difference in the exhaust response. Maybe I'll try again after a 10 minute run.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Definately needs to be warmed up. Pops come from fuel igniting in hot exhaust. (I think) <- note the total lack of mini knowledge disclaimer.

·
Registered
2009 R56 Cooper S
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately needs to be warmed up. Pops come from fuel igniting in hot exhaust. (I think) <- note the total lack of mini knowledge disclaimer.
Nope. no good. I've tried after a good 20 minute drive. And i also found on another site somewhere, someone mentioned BMW deleted the popping because of customer complaints... (Really.....:mad:) 2009 to 2011.... Typical.

If BMW did indeed delete the popping. could it be brought back with engine tuning to the ECU perhaps...:unsure:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pops and bangs switched on and off with the push of the sport button so I would imagine they could be 'tuned' back in on your car.
Mine is a 2011 60 plate built in Oct 2010 and it pops and bangs all over the place when in sport mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope. no good. I've tried after a good 20 minute drive. And i also found on another site somewhere, someone mentioned BMW deleted the popping because of customer complaints... (Really.....:mad:) 2009 to 2011.... Typical.

If BMW did indeed delete the popping. could it be brought back with engine tuning to the ECU perhaps...:unsure:
I’ve got an MCS 08, lost pops and bangs after a tune. Swapped the exhaust to a factory install JCW, and they have come back with vengeance. Love it! Not loud in idle, gets noisey nice with Excelerator. Best move I ever made.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Our dealer was detuning turbos at the customer complaints of the pops. I increased my 2011 Countryman S and added a pop off valve. My superchared 03 S with upgrade pulley pops and whines just fine. Both cold or hot.

Reactions: M3Darkangel

·
Registered
2009 R56 Cooper S
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve got an MCS 08, lost pops and bangs after a tune. Swapped the exhaust to a factory install JCW, and they have come back with vengeance. Love it! Not loud in idle, gets noisey nice with Excelerator. Best move I ever made.
JCW System on my next shopping list then. :devilish:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts