MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's.

Im after some advice with an N47 diesel engine on my mothers BMW mini.

a few weeks ago the car went into limp mode, after plugging it in myself it come up with error code 4868 which I was led to believe pointed to the EGR valve.

I did notice that exhaust fumes seemed to be coming from the oil filler cap..

Anyway, we took it to a garage which first said that the EGr valve was knackered (which I was expecting), a few days later they phoned me back up to tell me the turbo was knackered and to replace both was going to cost £1600. we then told them to do the work and then another day later they phoned to tell me the engine was knackered and it'd cost £2500 to replace.

I did go to see the car and he pulled the sump plug out and it was a lot like gloop (thick oil).

Im not thick by any means and have done loads of mechanics myself, but ive never worked on one of these engines.

Can anyone shed any light on this and am I right in thinking that the garage is trying to rip my mum off?

Many thanks in advance and if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

ASH

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Sounds a bit fishy but without seeing the car its hard to tell but I smell a rat if im honest given your story. Id have a second opinion but I do think they are trying to rip your mum off!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. does anyone else have any ideas? and does anyone know if the EGR can be blanked on these??

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts