MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2010 Mini coupe with a idle stall issue. Just started occurring 2 days ago on the way home from work. My drive is around an hour, and the issue didn't appear until about 15 minutes before home. When I came to a stoplight and clutch engaged, the idle would fall and fluctuate between 300-750 rpm. Not sure what typical idle rpm is for mini's 750? If i applied the gas slightly to boost the rpm, the car would just stall. Happened again on the way to work. Took to the dealer to look into it and the advisor mentioned a few things that i'm leary about.

1. The oil was low, and he mentioned that this may be the culprit. Needed an oil change anyway, but if the oil was low would this not be a persistent issue all the time? (when cold the car doesn't have the issue, only seems after it's warm), I only use synthetic oil as well. They haven't gotten back to me yet on any other issues.
2. Related to the oil issue, I asked as to why the oil was low, did they see a leak anywhere? Didn't see a leak, but he said that it burns oil......to the fact that Mini's burn oil in general. I can understand if a little oil gets burnt, but to burn an excess? it was low a couple months ago which I corrected). Anyone comment on this? I'm new to BMW cars, but mini's burning oil more than others?? I'm also a retired technician but worked exclusively on domestics. I don't see blue smoke out the exhaust at any time, plugs are also clean. Also no Check engine light comes on, and there are no stored/pending codes off the obd reader. There was a P0012 code a while back which cleared (cam sensor over retarded)

I've read some posts about the fuel tank breather valve/purge valve but unsure

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
From experience, all BMW engines drink a bit of oil. You need to check your oil level at least monthly. My MINI uses about a litre of oil every 3 months. My BMW uses maybe a litre every 2-3 months.

Having said that, your engine probably should not stall if the oil goes low unless your car goes into limp mode. Your low oil indicator should come on first. Intermittent dropping of revs while idling suggests you might have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check all your hoses.

If the stalling is not intermittent, check your fuel pump. MINIs use a high pressure fuel pump. Mine lasted 8 years, then simply died. You should change your fuel filter at least once every 5 years (though MINI service says they are "lifetime").

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 2010 Mini coupe with a idle stall issue. Just started occurring 2 days ago on the way home from work. My drive is around an hour, and the issue didn't appear until about 15 minutes before home. When I came to a stoplight and clutch engaged, the idle would fall and fluctuate between 300-750 rpm. Not sure what typical idle rpm is for mini's 750? If i applied the gas slightly to boost the rpm, the car would just stall. Happened again on the way to work. Took to the dealer to look into it and the advisor mentioned a few things that i'm leary about.

1. The oil was low, and he mentioned that this may be the culprit. Needed an oil change anyway, but if the oil was low would this not be a persistent issue all the time? (when cold the car doesn't have the issue, only seems after it's warm), I only use synthetic oil as well. They haven't gotten back to me yet on any other issues.
2. Related to the oil issue, I asked as to why the oil was low, did they see a leak anywhere? Didn't see a leak, but he said that it burns oil......to the fact that Mini's burn oil in general. I can understand if a little oil gets burnt, but to burn an excess? it was low a couple months ago which I corrected). Anyone comment on this? I'm new to BMW cars, but mini's burning oil more than others?? I'm also a retired technician but worked exclusively on domestics. I don't see blue smoke out the exhaust at any time, plugs are also clean. Also no Check engine light comes on, and there are no stored/pending codes off the obd reader. There was a P0012 code a while back which cleared (cam sensor over retarded)

I've read some posts about the fuel tank breather valve/purge valve but unsure
Hi I am having the some problem I want to know if you did sorted your car any update to your problem please and help .

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts