MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2011 Mini Cooper S; ~90,000kms
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recurring issue is giving me a headache. For the past year, on occasion when I have been driving down the highway, I have been halted by a half-red check engine light and reduced power. Naturally, I immediately proceed to the nearest location to pull over and shut the engine off. After the car rests for an hour or so, I turn the ignition on and the engine light is gone and full power is restored. The OBD2 error log indicates cylinder misfire in multiple cylinders, which in my mind indicates a possible ignition or fuel delivery issue. Hoping that a cheaper option would fix the issue, I replaced the coils and sparkplugs then cleared the codes. Then one month later, the same issue happened again. This time I had the car inspected by a mini dealership. Their solution was to replace the fuel injectors. A month after that was done the issue happened again, leaving me scratching my head. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening here? Any suggestions of what I can do next without breaking bank again?

· Registered
2009 Mini Cooper N12B16
97 Posts
A random set of misfires could be caused by several different issues.

At 90K I would be asking the question about the timing chain - has it been replaced with the full kit. Also has the car had regular oil changes say every 8k miles?

There could be others of course, such as vacuum leaks, ECU issues, other sensor issues etc. Have you got access to a scanner that can pull live data - this may give direction

· Registered
3 Posts
This recurring issue is giving me a headache. For the past year, on occasion when I have been driving down the highway, I have been halted by a half-red check engine light and reduced power. Naturally, I immediately proceed to the nearest location to pull over and shut the engine off. After the car rests for an hour or so, I turn the ignition on and the engine light is gone and full power is restored. The OBD2 error log indicates cylinder misfire in multiple cylinders, which in my mind indicates a possible ignition or fuel delivery issue. Hoping that a cheaper option would fix the issue, I replaced the coils and sparkplugs then cleared the codes. Then one month later, the same issue happened again. This time I had the car inspected by a mini dealership. Their solution was to replace the fuel injectors. A month after that was done the issue happened again, leaving me scratching my head. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening here? Any suggestions of what I can do next without breaking bank again?
In November 2022 my 2011 Mini S stalled on the freeway for the third time since purchased in 2014. Life threatening to me! Each time it was due to an overheating fuel pump, which after cooling down for an hour -- after being towed to safety -- started up again. So I gave it up and bought a 2019S. Already the spoiler blew off when the car was parked during a rainstorm... So I'm going to contact Mini Cooper USA because had I been on the freeway that incident could have killed someone behind me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts