MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
if the crankshaft bearings are all looking good i white metal is still on them then i would keep engine in car and pull head and sump and just fit new big end bearings thats what i done on my one last time around link below for a idea of whats possible ,, just do not do as i did and use them stupid plastic coated oil rings set,, i just cahnged oil on mine after 130 miles from rebuild and zero metal in it so all good finally,
and
mine is a N14 but prettymuch same block i've refreshed many of them like that,, make sure every piston and end cap is marked and marked to front of engine as all rod ends only match up correctly to that rod if that makes sense,, i have seen people not do this and get a conrod out side of block before,,, i also use 5/40 oil mixed with wyns stop smoke in a oil can for a lubrication when rebuilding them up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Mike, I picked the car up today, double oil change/flush and filter change, he actually did drop some flush liquid down the spark plug holes (not Seafoam though), and I drove behind the Mini on the way home, no smoke from the exhaust. He filled the oil up to 3/4, and we'll take it back on Wednesday to top it up to full - he used fully synthetic Total oil, 5W 30. He also added 1/4 can of flush liquid, we'll run it for 1000km and then he will put new oil/filter in again - he will also drop the sump and clean out any remaining sludge, and clean the strainer too. He actually put an endoscope down there, and said it looked relatively clean, and the timing chain/tensioner looked all OK. It was idling perfectly at 800 revs, so if it runs OK for the following 5,000km, we will go for timing chain/tensioner change, and also consider all the other repairs we talked about in this thread. He also totally cleaned all the oil seepage from the pipework, so we'll see how that looks next week - if we see oil seepage again, he'll replace the seals (but at least the rocker cover seal was replaced, hoping that's where the seepage originated).

Thanks for all your advice and guidance, very much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, update - all is well! Oil pressure light doesn't appear at low or high revs, no smoke from the rear end, and although early days yet, no oil seepage from the pipes....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts