MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2011 mini clubman diesel n47
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alan here and I’m new to mini’s and this forum , I’m from Telford, Shropshire. Uk , I have purchased this mini as a fix up and maybe to replace my ageing golf , as for the mini I’m unsure of the model number but engine is 1.6 Bmw unit which I think is the n47. Now for the issues, cam chain rattled on start up for a few seconds but engine has done 90,000 miles , DPF I think maybe shot as previous owner has had it professionally cleaned although on the car and I have a receipt to prove glow plugs have errors and it has had a new genuine control unit for said plugs , boost pressure sensor, DPF sensor, and it has had mice in there somewhere as the sound proof bonnet liner has been half eaten even the aluminium heat shield part😳, now I think I’m going to pull the engine out and do a decent overhaul on it . What’s your thoughts on the DPF , what should I do with it or what you think I could get away with doing , maybe the egr too . Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
they all go that way around those miles dpf filter only two ways forward, 1 being fit a new one they dont clean that well as are a saturation filter and collect the red dust within them and are designed to glow when in middle of a regen, or could just delete it and egr valve will need ecu programmed as well, once done the emissions are lower on most cars they go better and dont suffer from all the issues caused with regen ie diesel in the sump etc wearing aware the engine ,, this said its a mot failure if they can tell so must be done in a way that cant see its been done ie knock out the filter part reuse the metal part as visual test at mot,
as for timing chain make sure buy a good brand chain kit febi is a good one FAI is aswell will need special lock tools and always do oil chain as well and all seals,, would also do clutch and dmf at same time as dont really want to be pulling it again,, best way to remove them is pull front off car and wheel it out front with engine crane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike , I’m gonna pull the lump and see how it goes I think , I only paid £450 for it . 👍👍

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Thanks Mike , I’m gonna pull the lump and see how it goes I think , I only paid £450 for it . 👍👍
you bought it for right money, i see many people pay over the top for them thinking its going to be best case,, and it never is

·
Registered
Mini 2011 Cooper 1.6 D
8 Posts
Hi, on this engine, I have the dreaded timing chain issue, and was wondering about the cylinder head? Is the N47D20 the same as the N47D16. Basically the question I'm hoping to have answered is; can I put the 2.0d onto my 1.6 d as a straight swap, no issues?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, on this engine, I have the dreaded timing chain issue, and was wondering about the cylinder head? Is the N47D20 the same as the N47D16. Basically the question I'm hoping to have answered is; can I put the 2.0d onto my 1.6 d as a straight swap, no issues?
Hi Kevin, I personally have no idea , has your cam chain snapped? If not then why change head .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kevin, I personally have no idea , has your cam chain snapped? If not then why change head .
Anyone used the BGA cam chain kit , I’ve never heard of them but they state that it’s a updated kit to prevent further issues, it’s on eBay at £35 ??

·
Registered
Mini 2011 Cooper 1.6 D
8 Posts
Hi Peely,

Thanks for getting back to me, yes, unfortunately chain has gone and cam pully! Hence wondering if a straight swap of cylinder head from the 2.0d would work, as there are plenty around, and much cheaper than the 1.6 D head.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
will add worth finding one local and take your old head with you and measure things across,, its common for bmw to alter the CC by pistons ie if both heads are flat and valve are same size might find your cams will fit and just use the 2.0 n47 head bare as such,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Peely,

Thanks for getting back to me, yes, unfortunately chain has gone and cam pully! Hence wondering if a straight swap of cylinder head from the 2.0d would work, as there are plenty around, and much cheaper than the 1.6 D head

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve been a bit of a plonker , my project mini is a 2011 1.6 D Cooper is it an R56 N47 engine ??

·
Registered
Mini 2011 Cooper 1.6 D
8 Posts
never try'd it dont think they do , below link is what your looking for
Hi Mike, thanks for the input and leg work, I have ordered the head, however using 2.0d cams and carrier, is it should give a bit more torque!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What cam chain kit would people go for ?? it’s going on my 2011 cooperD 1.6 n47 . And I’m in the uk .

·
Registered
Mini 2011 Cooper 1.6 D
8 Posts
What cam chain kit would people go for ?? it’s going on my 2011 cooperD 1.6 n47 . And I’m in the uk .
Please see...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N47D16A-N47C16A-BMW-AND-MINI-1-6-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-COMPLETE-TIMING-CHAIN-KIT/123712021748?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That's what I'm about to fit!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please see...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N47D16A-N47C16A-BMW-AND-MINI-1-6-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-COMPLETE-TIMING-CHAIN-KIT/123712021748?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That's what I'm about to fit!
Is this a good quality kit Kevin do you know?
I called the dealership local to me and asked price £420 and that doesn’t include the oil pump chain as the bloke on the phone said“you won’t need to change that” 😳

·
Registered
Mini 2011 Cooper 1.6 D
8 Posts
Is this a good quality kit Kevin do you know?
I called the dealership local to me and asked price £420 and that doesn’t include the oil pump chain as the bloke on the phone said“you won’t need to change that” 😳
Don't believe everything they say at the dealerships! Consider this, the bloody thing should never have broken, considering it's placement within the engine! As far as I'm concerned, this was middle diddle price wise, there are much cheaper, and much more expensive! At least this kit included everything including the oil spray attachment, which IS advised to change, as this keeps them oiled! Please see the following video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHeUWWC8Sfc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Think I may take the plunge on it Kevin , I need to get a sheered glow plug out of the head first , if I balls that up my mind maybe changed about keeping it , I need a removal kit for said job , anyone willing to borrow me one or sell one 👍👍

1 - 20 of 27 Posts