MINI Cooper Forum banner

!!NOW SOLD!! - 2012 Clubvan Cooper D - timing chain gone

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Tommy2000 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, with a heavy heart my wife and I are having to consider the possibility that we need to let our van go. The timing chain went at the back end of last year, and I haven't been able to scrape together the cash to get it sorted.

I've looked at the options for refurb engines, but with it being one of the first off the production line I feel strongly about preserving the history and keeping the original engine number. Quotes for the work (refurb engine, fitting, clutch, flywheel, pumps etc) ranged from £3,500 to £5,000.

It's heartbreaking to see it sitting on the drive, so I'm wondering if there's a tinkerer on here who'd be interested in giving us a fair price for it and getting it back on the road.

Obviously, this is a gamble as I haven't had the engine apart so can't confirm the damage, but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll provide some more details.

Thanks, Jeff

#3 ·
Hey Rusty,

Mini Cooper D Clubvan 1.6, Ice Blue, Leather Lounge-Carbon Black trim.
It was picked up on 21/12/2012, total price £24,240.

Bearing in mind it's a rare example (see full spec below) I'm looking for offers around £4,500 in its current state. Like I said, the Timing Chain has gone but I don't know the extent of the damage. It's got a nearly full service history (missed a couple of annuals), no MOT as it's a non-runner, and it's done just under 93,000 miles.

Spec below (listed from the order sheet). Last time I checked everything on here worked, although the arm rest is a little loose and the compass needs calibrating. There are a couple of minor scratches/dings on the rear bumper, the power socket in the boot is missing a cap, and there's a small hole in the inside trim of the passenger door just below the window (basically little things that we could live with). It's not been in any accidents and was running beautifully before the chain went (apart from the tell tale rattle that I wasn't informed enough to know signalled the death of the chain).

I spoke to BMW about getting it investigated for them to repair as a known fault, but obviously they weren't going to commit without looking, and it wasn't a gamble I was willing to take (I didn't want to get tied into paying for them to fix it if they weren't going to reimburse the bill).

Standard Options:
  • 210 Dynamic Stability Control
  • 302 Alarm (Thatcham 1)
  • 381 Roof in body colour
  • 386 Roof rails, black
  • 4CU Interior world carbon black
  • 5DD Car jack
  • 654 DAB digital radio
  • 736 2nd Remote Key

Optional Extras:
  • 7L5 Media Pack (Voice control, visual boost radio, Bluetooth with USB, Mini Connected, Mini Navigation System)
  • 7Y1 Pepper Pack (Sports steering wheel, chrome line exterior, velour floor mats, passenger seat height adjustment, storage compartment pack, front fog-lights, rain sensor with auto headlight activation, auto air con, on board computer, extended interior light package)
  • 235 Detachable Tow bar
  • 249 Multi-function steering wheel
  • 2RU 17" Black star bullet alloys
  • 313 Elec fold wing mirrors
  • 314 Heated mirrors/washer jets
  • 321 Body colour lower C pillars
  • 345 Chrome line interior
  • 405 Chromed mirror caps
  • 420 Darkened rear glass
  • 430 Auto dimming ext/int mirrors
  • 431 rear view mirror auto dimming
  • 473 Armrest - front, centre
  • 481 Sports seats, front
  • 494 Heated front seats
  • 4AA Anthracite roof lining
  • 4AU Additional decor rings
  • 4BD Interior trim piano black
  • 4C2 Colour line polar beige
  • 4NA Rear view mirror with digital compass
  • 4UF Sport button
  • 502 Headlight wash
  • 507 Park distance control, rear
  • 522 Xenon headlights
  • 6NF Telephone USB audio interface
  • 785 White indicator lenses

Dealer Sourced Accessories:
  • Black Bonnet Stripes
  • Chrome Side Scuttles
  • Cooper S Fuel Cap

Images attached, including some of it on the construction line back in 2012.

Current state:

"Being Born":

Attachments

#6 ·
Jeff

Timing isn’t great atm as I’m out of work but if something comes up I’ll be back in touch. However, we had a Mini One D with a snapped chain 13 plate with with 95k miles on and as it had a full service history with Mini they paid all parts and half the labour. The damage was that bad that they fitted a refurbished engine and I only paid about £1800 and that included a new clutch. If you can whip the cam cover off you’ll quickly know if the chain has snapped. Might be worth talking to your local dealer, ours was handled by Cotswold Group. Alternatively if you have a good local mechanic buy a write off and swap the whole lot over and put a new chain and tensioner on before fitting into the van. Our Mini was valued at less than a grand with a non running engine btw, albeit hatches are ten a penny vs clubvans.

cheers

#7 · (Edited)
your words are the norm with this stupid N47 diesel engines disgrace by bmw , has stopped many people from buying them in the trade

#8 ·
Jeff

We exchanged messages a few weeks ago about your clubvan. Still haven’t found a job but getting bored and need a project. If it’s still available can you let me know roughly whereabouts you are based and also the Reg number and vin please. I can then have some discussions with the garage that fixed my last one.

Thanks

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.