MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

yes my suspicions were cemented with your response. Here is the thing. I did add coolant initially and the light did go off for a period of time, if I recall correctly, but the problem was that I poured coolant a little bit on the high end. If there is a leak, its not leaking at parked intervals, it must be blowing out while driving. But I'm not seeing splash spots under the hood on the engine from blow by coolant. I do not see any cracks in the hoses, but by the same token, I shouldn't have to add coolant 2-3 times, should I? I've ordered a new thermostat based on vin# and should arrive in a few days.

Honestly, I do like this car as it does have many little perks but by the same token it certainly does seem like there are many little PIA nuances with it

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To ALL,

I replaced the entire thermostat and reset codes. It was a PIA because guess what, a new wiring harness was needed to plug into the thermostat. No one had it! They ship you the thermostat housing but do not ship the wiring harness conversion.

It’s been a couple weeks and no codes even after a treacherous winter storm.

Here is my KB on the subject. The thermostat sensor sits atop the thermostat. While I have not been able to find any recalls, I truly believe it was a design flaw.

The new thermostat has 2 sensors requiring an adapter for my year/make/model. I had to go to a German auto mechanic and get the correct adapter wiring harness for the new 2:1 sensor. Now that there are 2 sensors, 1 below and 1 above, it appears the thermostat is more efficient.

Best to Everyone!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts