MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all.
For one week, i am driving it only in city. Average Fuel consumption is a 10 liter of diesel. I think it is high, or it is normal for N47 engine?
Some of my friends ,have for example, C4 Grand Picaso 2.0 HDI, and their average Fuel consumption is 6,9.I have driven thet car, to check it, and it is max 7 liter of diesel.
With my R60, this is not possible.
I did not see, any problem with my engine, or i must to go to service, to check for, i dont know what???

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
how many miles has it done, dpf filter when gets blocked from a lot of town driving will use a lot more fuel as the ecu detects its blocked and adds a shot of fuel on the pre exhaust stoke to turn the exhaust in to a furnace and cook the carbon in to dust, for it to clear the filter it needs a long run at 3000 revs for at least 20 minutes this should induce a regen,, there is also another thing with n47 diesels when they start using more fuel could be because the valve timing is out as timing chain stretch, internet is full of horror stories with this stupid design, see a lot around 80.000 miles have chain failures, the dpf filter has a life of around 75000 miles and is a service replacement item on most cars

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before city driving, i have out of city on free way ,about 300 km.
After thet, i have decided to drive only in city, to check for fuel consumption.
The first owner was company, about 99% of free way.On 110.000km, they get, new engine from Bmw, because timing belt damaged the engine.
Now it is 180.000 km on the board .
There is no warning lights of any kind.There is no single trace for any kind of oil from engine or transmision.
Just dont know, which fuel consumption, is real for N47 Countryman, in the city, with a lot stop and go rutes.
Is it 7,8,9 or 10 liter.
Does All drive, works all time, or just when there is a tracking problems?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
if tracking is out will cause drag, i set my own cars up to under 1 degree toe out if that as dont drive fast just like mpg to be good

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike

What was your MPG in City only driving with 2.0/ N47.
I asked some friends, they told me 9 liter, and thet is high.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
i stopped buying any bmw car with n47 diesel in it after buying a brand new 3 series bmw ie same engine and a few months after warranty was over from new just under 70k it snapped its chain and destroy/ed the motor, cost me so much money that as the engines had only been out for 4 years when mine went so as you could guess no after market parts around and not many complete engines under 3k, in the 3 series 2.0 litre it was well in to the 65mpg and mid 50s around town, funny most people over the years a=have commented on mpg doing being as good as the psa engine before it i had a few pf them over the years and would get mid 60s around town and nearly 80mpg on a run at 50 mph, bit these figure would drop on all the cars when dpf was full and all done worse mpg after 50,000 miles until i change the filters at around 76.000 miles

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Mike

Yours 50mpg in the city, is 5.6 liter.
My Mini is 10 liter in the city, thet is, abnormal fuel consumption!
I have changed all filters, except dpf.
Can i get info, via OBD sw, to check real status of DPF?
I dont have any warning, or check engine lights.
I am 10 min away, from sell it, and go for petrol engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New moments.
I have decided to go for obd check, and there is error for DPF, passive or active regenerations are not possible.
It is for sure ,connected with high fuel consumption.
They will check for dpf sensor, and if its ok, then they will check if DPF is dead.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
if car has done around 75000 miles the dpf will be on last legs where its partially clogged with the burnt ash for regens this stuff will never clear its builds up until the car runs no more or kills off the turbo that takes out the engine on some cars from diesel runaway, reason you have no light or warning is due to the wide band of tolerance the system will run at, but at worst end its will eat fuel as its trying to clear its self (ie try's to regen adds fuel WARNING THE UNBURNT FULE ENTERS THE ENGINE OIL AND WILL DAMAGE THE ENGINE ON THAT LEVEL, but when they are worn out around the 75000 miles of mix mileages they still appear to be fine,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike

Before 1000 km, i have changed oil, before it was time for it.
If dpf is dead, i will try to clean it, with some the latest machine(see picture) for it.I just hope, it is only dpf sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts