MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just bought a 2017 Countryman Cooper S PHEV. Fantastic car but we quickly realised the electric range was an issue. We're getting around 8miles in MaxEDrive with the Green driving setting. Sensible driving, aircon and heater off. What electric range do others get on these cars? Have done a lot of googling and the worst I've seen people get is 14miles. But it's difficult to work out whether thats for the newer models with the bigger hybrid battery. I think the stated electric range on this model and age is 24miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the car has now been back to mini. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and apparently the battery is in good condition.

However, range is still 14miles at best and the maximum available electric range is only 17miles on a full charge.

The did say that battery preconditioning (preheating) makes a big difference. But we found this to make no difference at all.

I managed to find the original specification sheet for the car and it states electric only range of 40km, 24.85miles. Would still love to know why we can't achieve it. Our experience is 44% lower range at best.

·
Registered
2020 Countryman PHEV
23 Posts
With the larger capacity battery mine shows a range of approx 21 miles in current climate after a full overnight charge. In actuality I am achieving somewhat less, maybe 15-18, with the heating on in current weather conditions and stop start driving around town. I imagine heating is creating quite an electrical load.

What I can see is, just like any car, stop start driving is using up to double the energy compared to a gentle tour down a motorway. Probably I was expecting better energy recovery from braking.

None of this helps solve your dilemma I am afraid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, don't know if you have resolved this yet, but driving in Green mode will almost certainly reduce your electric range quite dramatically as it switches off regeneration (e.g. going downhill or braking). I'm now 2 months in to mine and worst I have had is 21 miles, best 31. Outside temperature seems to make a big difference. Air Con, lights, heater and wipers also take a big toll.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts