MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I be seeing too much of my dentist for filling replacement? I live in the Northeastern USA and the freeze/thaw cycles we have here cause some big potholes in our roads. I am definitely (already have $ deposited) getting a Cooper S but am wondering if the 17" tires and wheels are a bad idea for a daily driver. Anyone have any real-world experience with this aspect ratio in theit tires?
I used to have an old VW GTI but only ran 185/60's on it.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
gromit said:
Will I be seeing too much of my dentist for filling replacement? I live in the Northeastern USA and the freeze/thaw cycles we have here cause some big potholes in our roads.

It cant be that bad. Blackburn has more potholes than any where I ve ever know, & I dont even live there :D :D
Hey, someone even wrote a song about it :D :D :D

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
gromit said:
Will I be seeing too much of my dentist for filling replacement? I live in the Northeastern USA and the freeze/thaw cycles we have here cause some big potholes in our roads.
I can sympathize, here in warm & sunny Vermont (hah!), we have potholes that could eat a Mini whole. Nevertheless, I'll be going for the 17s, but in winter they will be swapped off for 16" rims and slightly more sensible tires. The lowest profile tires I've had on a daily driver were 235/55 R16, which weren't that bad...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
gromit said:
Will I be seeing too much of my dentist for filling replacement? I live in the Northeastern USA and the freeze/thaw cycles we have here cause some big potholes in our roads. I am definitely (already have $ deposited) getting a Cooper S but am wondering if the 17" tires and wheels are a bad idea for a daily driver. Anyone have any real-world experience with this aspect ratio in theit tires?
I used to have an old VW GTI but only ran 185/60's on it.
205/45 on 17"s is pretty unusual. Not very wide at all. I have had 225/45 on 17" rims and had two problems. The first was due to the profile and my wheel combination. The only thing protecting the rim is the "wheel" protector built into most 45 series tyres. This extended rubber ring close to the bead is supposed to protect the rim, but is not generaly substantial enough.
The other was my wheel design was too light for Australian roads and were prone to buckling. They were fixable on two occasions. The third wrote the rim off. If you go for the S-spoke 17"s they look very strong to me, and will be my choice. Rim damage however will be down to being careful where you drive it.
The run flat technology on the 16" and 17" tyres may help, as they must be VERY tough, and I suspect the rims would have to be especially designed for these tyres as well.
I had the same concerns as yourself on this issue, but i can't help myself.....those 17" S spokes are the biz and suit the simple lines of the MINI.

cheers:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a Cooper with 17" wheels on order. I should take delivery of it in the first or second week of January:D :D

I saw the 17" wheels up close on a dealer demo on Saturday.

The tyre profile is very low and I agree that the bead will help but not a great deal if you really wack the gutter.

All I an suggest is that 17" wheel owners take it pretty carefully when parking. In my opinion most roads here are better than those in Australia. Be careful on those outback tracks.

Has anyone taken delivery of a 17" wheel car who can comment factually what the performance and handling is like?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts