MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
There is no spoon
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally taken the plunge and replacing the runflats. I've got pirelli runflats on my 17" wheels 205 45 R17 84V, whatever all that means :( After have a thorough rummage through this site, I decided to go for Toyo TS-1 everyone who has them seems to love them. Unfortunately I've been told these do not come in 205 size 215 and every other size I think.
Is there a Toyo trye I can replace these damn run flats with ?
Is it possible to fit 215's instead of 205's ?

Thanks everyone in advance

PS Where do I get my tyre weld from , Halfords ?

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
the numbers xxx/yy/zz indicate the tyre sizes

xxx = the tyre width so 215's are larger than 205's (measure in millimetres)
yy = the tyre depth as a percentage of the width so 40 is 40% of xxx
zz = rim size 15" 16" 17" you get the idea

so the standard tyres on a mini with 17's is 205/45/17 but I chucked them and replace with 215/40/17 which are slightly wider and not as deep. (but the difference is tiny)

So in answer, 215's will fit fine but will be 10mm wider.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
By the way the 84V is the load weight that the tyre can withstand and the V is the speed rating!

Mini tyres must have a load rating of 84 or over and a speed rating that will cover the speed your car can get up to or it isn't legal or something!

Just to confuse you even more if you go for a non mini tyre size then your speedo will be slightly unaccurate. This means that you might be going slightly faster or slower than your speedo tells you. Something to bear in mind when your crawling past that camera at 30 or 50.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
with my 215/40's I have a lesser circunference, therefore I'm travelling slower than my speedo reads. This is not a significant amount though, my speedo will read 70mph but my real speed will be 68.

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
take care of the load rating when u switch to 215/40... cuze most of them have below mini spec load rating and it can rub like crazy if you consistently got more than 2 people in the car

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does going for a wider tyre, i.e 215 over 205, affect performance or handling in any way?? :confused: :confused:

·
Clio 197 R27
2,235 Posts
kyriian said:
take care of the load rating when u switch to 215/40... cuze most of them have below mini spec load rating and it can rub like crazy if you consistently got more than 2 people in the car
I have had no problems with the 215x40s fitted to mine :confused:

Had the car 4 up with no probs over some deep undulations.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Plenty of Aussies are running 215s without any dramas. The trick is getting a suitable load rating, I am pretty sure the Toyo should be right. Best to double check you don't want any finicky insurance assesor to pick that up should the worst happen.

I have 205s on my after market 17s at the moment, but may try some 215s when the time comes to replace them.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
ButtonIt said:
with my 215/40's I have a lesser circunference, therefore I'm travelling slower than my speedo reads. This is not a significant amount though, my speedo will read 70mph but my real speed will be 68.
Bearing in mind that the speedo is generally off by that much anyway.
A number of folks here have verified that.
Using radar and a GPS I was doing just under 58MPH when the speedo read 60. That's on the OEM 195-55s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts