MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm after a little bit of advice about new tyres.

I'm currently on the 205/40-18 RFs and am going to need to change them soon. I prefer the 40 profile as they fill the arch better, which is one of the reasons I've put off changing from RFs.

However cost is the main reason for changing to non RFs, and this is where my uncertainty kicks in. I've got R105s which are 7in diameter, and I've heard that with the narrower width of rim, the 35 profile will be less stretched.

I'm still swaying towards the 215/40 profile, but am wondering will I have any problems with rubbing, especially as Checkie is lowered on Eibachs.

Many thanks for any advice you've got :)

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
With a 215 35 18 tyre it wont be stretched at all. I have 215/35/18 on my wheels but mine are stretched quite a bit because of the extra half inch of width but that wont happen on yours.

The 35 profile will be fine with the eibachs and you wont rub at all.

IMO the handling will be better as you will be ditching the heavy run flats but ride may be comprimised.

Alot of people on here will run 215/35 tyres and will prob share opinions with you as well but IMO go for the 215/35 tyre as it has been sweet for me :D

·
Lost in Mini2
948 Posts
Guys,

I'm after a little bit of advice about new tyres.

I'm currently on the 205/40-18 RFs and am going to need to change them soon. I prefer the 40 profile as they fill the arch better, which is one of the reasons I've put off changing from RFs.

However cost is the main reason for changing to non RFs, and this is where my uncertainty kicks in. I've got R105s which are 7in diameter, and I've heard that with the narrower width of rim, the 35 profile will be less stretched.

I'm still swaying towards the 215/40 profile, but am wondering will I have any problems with rubbing, especially as Checkie is lowered on Eibachs.

Many thanks for any advice you've got :)
I run on R105s like you and wanted to keep the 40 profile as filled the arches and better ride. So i run on Michelin Pilot sport 205/40/18 Non-RF

I would like 215/40/18 but think there maybe rubbing issues, I'm not sure.

Chris.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate that the 35 profile is the more popular choice and that I should have no, or little issue with rubbing etc, I was really more interested if anyone running 40 profile had any feedback.

Chris, I've been looking at the 205/40/18 non RF, and there's not a lot of choice, and the choice there is, there's very little price difference between non RFs and RFs in this size.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Did that search yesterday, and I've replied in their thread, but I noticed there were a few other users who were running 215/40 :)
I specified OEM wheels because you want to get feedback from members running the same wheel offset (52mm). I probably should have also included "1st" Generation in the search criteria. I believe any issues with rubbing would occur on the inside (struts).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts