MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I'd expect that to include new pistons and all, else it wouldn't take too long to damage standard parts - especially with the kind of pressure turbos produce...

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
So do you need all that power to drive quickly when the MINI develops faults in the engine :confused: :confused: :D :D :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smiffy said:
So do you need all that power to drive quickly when the MINI develops faults in the engine :confused: :confused: :D :D :D
I'm not gonna get the conversion done, i'd probably go flying off the road!!! - just wondered what the consequences would be... :)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Wow! That must be one hell of a conversion? Have they seen the rear suspension on a mini? They'd have to redesign the whole back end of the thing surely, and god knows what that would do that gorgeous handling.

I have to say when I was in one of my daydreaming days and looking at a Renault Clio Cosworth, (They put in a Sierra Saphire Cosworth Engine and 4WD transmission) that I wondered if it would be possible to do 4WD on a Mini, then I looked at the suspension (on a detailed model) and thought, nope not possible. These guys must be good or mad!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've checked the site again and it's actually an AWD - All Wheel Drive conversion - sounds pretty similar to 4WD - or is it??

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Well no doubt I may get shot down now, but the last time I checked the mini had 4 wheels so AWD is the same as 4wd

Then again maybe there is a differance gearbox wise or summat else that distinguishes 4wd and awd. Thinking of it I think AWD is associated with a car being 4WD ALL the time as oopsed to 4x4's that only use 4wd when you go off road (due to the lack of a middle differential)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Crazy. I think I'd like just the AWD conversion in a few years for our Cooper S on order.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Damo said:
Well no doubt I may get shot down now, but the last time I checked the mini had 4 wheels so AWD is the same as 4wd
I don't know if it is just US terminology but AWD is full-time 4WD with a center differential. 4WD lacks the center differential so has to be switched to 2WD (usually by disconnecting the drive to the front wheels) when not driving on slippery stuff or pulling tree stumps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Damo said:
Wow! That must be one hell of a conversion? Have they seen the rear suspension on a mini? They'd have to redesign the whole back end of the thing surely, and god knows what that would do that gorgeous handling.
I though the rear suspension was based on the E46. If true, that can handle the M3's power so 260hp should not be a problem.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Keith said:

I though the rear suspension was based on the E46. If true, that can handle the M3's power so 260hp should not be a problem.
Wasn't on about it not handling the power. I think the normal FWD could handle 260! Probably!

no I was on about the suspension at he back. they'd have to make com7pletly differant trainling arms or whatever.

I was just thinking the 7price for it would outweight the benefits (i.e. you could buy an im7preza)

just a thought anyway!

DAMN THIS SODDING 7P KEY!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts