MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 MCS with 71K miles. Lately, I've been getting the half engine warning light on the tach, but no check engine light. The CCID code is 117. Usually happens when I step on the gas hard and get boost. Sometimes it goes away and once I step back up on the gas I get the warning light. I don't feel the engine in limp mode at all. sometimes I might get a misfire code (273E, 273D, 2775, 276A), but after clearing the codes they go away but 28AA keeps popping back up.

I've heard that it could be the diverter solenoid valve or the High Pressure Fuel Pump. How can I correctly diagnose which is it? Last year all spark plugs and coils were replaced, as well as the turbo oil return lines, and the thermostat housing.

I also get error code A127 on CAS. Haven't been able to find what that is. I have an old USB K-DCAN cable from my NCS Expert days, that I've been using with some apps (Bimmer-Tool lite) to read the codes.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
code 28AA Bypass Blow off valve plausible.
below link
2775 misfire cylinder 3
276a cat related byproduct from 28aa maybe more likely have a issi=ue in cylinder 3 misfire and not igniting all the fuel this then gets dumped on to cat, common is valve stems seals and valve seats link below for two i have just done had same sort of issues, have done a lot with these issues over the years,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
I've been reading that 11658636606 replaced and fixed most of the issues from 11657593273.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I've been reading that 11658636606 replaced and fixed most of the issues from 11657593273.
dont know sounds like main dealer info to me,, I only deal with fault codes and what causes them, better getting a scanner that reads all codes and work it out, rather than thinking just because a number of cars had same faults that yours will be like them as such,,,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went for a long drive yesterday 70 miles and noticed that I was in fact in limp mode. Only 3 PSI at most of boost. If I went hard on the gas it would go away and get full boost, but immediately get the half engine check light again and if I boost it only get 1 or 2 PSI.

I got the new diverter valve and installed it, but still no boost. Strange thing is that I get no engine check light at all after driving a few miles. I connected with Bimmer-Tools and now I get the error code 28B1. I've cleared the codes a few times. I do have a cheap diverter adapter, but can't find the shorter screws to test without it.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
should only ever fit a pierburg diverter valve, ie genuine fitment, cheaper after market ones are rubbish,
if have then common are the little vac pipes that run from the vac pump on side of head this runs behind the inlet manifold and down under the inlet manifold to a expansion tank then from expansion tank to boost control solenoid under the inlet manifold this sensor can fail and must use correct one as all sensors might look same put are not,, I never use after market for these type of components ,, its common for oil leak to drip on to expansion tank and rot the vac pipes, also the vac pipes have rubber ends these go hard and leak after 10 years or more,

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I installed a Pierburg 11658636606
then would be checking vac lines and boost controller,, would also be checking oil pressure just incase its low and this is dragging the bearing on the turbo rare but have seen it before,, would also pull the inlet pipe off the turbo and wiggle the shaft should have a very slight movement but if touches the sides its done have you.
the waste gate actuator use a neg vac pump with gauge on it and pump it to its stop,,, when it hits the stop should see 14psi just as hit its.
would also before any of this scan can see what codes are within ecu with a good scanner that reads all bmw/mini p-codes,
could also run live data see when its boosting and to how far,
would also do smoke test on all inlet pipe work to turbo might be cracked pipe somewhere, common is the rubber o-ring on the up and over boost pipe from inter cooler to the y piece before the throttle body to crack and leak with age,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently I connected the diverter incorrectly. After connecting it the right way, now I'm getting error 2885. Still no boost and limp mode is back.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
MINI DTC P2885 - Boost Pressure Control Deviation, plausibility
In a nutshell, the ECU is seeing a serious discrepancy between the spec versus actual boost.
Either there's a leak in the system OR the wastegate isn't releasing the unused pressure (after throttle lift) like it should.
You need to check your BOV vacuum line to make sure it's not cracked / frayed.
Also check the diaphragm if the vacuum line is good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MINI DTC P2885 - Boost Pressure Control Deviation, plausibility
In a nutshell, the ECU is seeing a serious discrepancy between the spec versus actual boost.
Either there's a leak in the system OR the wastegate isn't releasing the unused pressure (after throttle lift) like it should.
You need to check your BOV vacuum line to make sure it's not cracked / frayed.
Also check the diaphragm if the vacuum line is good.
I tried to inspect from where I could the vacuum line and it seemed fine from the wastegate actuator. I applied vacuum (using my vacuum cleaner) and it seemed to pull the rod closing the wastegate.
Which diaphragm do you mean?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I tried to inspect from where I could the vacuum line and it seemed fine from the wastegate actuator. I applied vacuum (using my vacuum cleaner) and it seemed to pull the rod closing the wastegate.
Which diaphragm do you mean?
that would say the vac circuit is air tight,
would start looking at the pressure side of inlet pipes for any leaks this is normally done with a smoke tester in a garage , only takes a tiny hole somewhere to cause that code,

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
could smoke bomb it but smoke bomb in pipe in some metal foil and close the end up and look for where it leaks smoke from ie will be the leak,,
below link a cheap way to smoke test them as the special machines are over £200 to buy, only down side it will only be a low pressure test where proper tester is air line fed and can set a pressure to 1.5 bar ie boost pressure

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found the problem.
Got under the car and found both vacuum tank lines disconnected. I cannot find a way to connect them back. It's very uncomfortable and can't find a position. Also only doing it with one hand....

Does it matter which vacuum line goes to the tank?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
under inlet manifod there should be a petrol tank vent valve under the inlet manifold thats where the solid pipe goes to the other small pipe from inlet also goes to valve
as per link and pictures for it etc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My problem is with vaccine lines, not fuel tank.
Anyways I had some 5/32 line cut a piece and put on both vacuum lines into the upward facing vacuum lines that come out of the plastic vacuum tank.
Gonna' take it for a test drive and see.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Connected the loose vacuum lines to the vacuum tank and finally got back max 16PSI back. No error messages. Drive about 10 miles.
It had like an inch of vacuum line that connected from the line to the tank that was so loose it fell on my face. Cut a piece of 5/32 line that I had and after a bit of swearing and scraping my arms got in both ends.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish I had seen this video sooner.
My back is so sore. LOL.
That's The connection I meant from the vacuum chamber. In the video there's the vacuum 1 inch line that was very loose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts