MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still cant get my head around the grilles on the 2nd gen MINI :eek:

Ive ordered a new Cooper D (im sure most of you are well aware of that by now :eek: :p :D) and it will have the chrome grille (below)

Ive always liked the Cooper S front grille but believe this wont fit. I like the Aero grille (below) as it has the black honeycomb but I dont like the black surround...

So then ive found this one with the Aero grille but the Chrome surround (ScoobyDoo's Cooper below :)) and this is the perfect compromise! And will also fit in much better with the other mod idea of Chrome spotlights, plus it will match the JCW side grilles ive already bought :D

So...

Can the Aero grille be fitted to the Cooper D? Do I have to order one specific to the Dooper?

Can I use the Chrome surround off my original grille as per the Cooper above?

Also with regards fitting spotlights later, do I have to order a different sort of Aero grille in the first place?

And any ideas on cost?

Thank you :) :red:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think the black Aero grill should fit. Im hoping to pick one up next week for my Cooper. Should be about £35 quid, not sure how the black surrounds cost tho. :)

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-exterior/138116-alternative-grille-r56-mini-cooper.html

I think both of those pics are of Helens car (Scooby) She liked the look of the original chrome and kept them on. So yes you can use your original chrome surrounds.

New Dooper?...really I didnt know you were getting one! lol ;-)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh that helps thank you :)

Didnt realise you could order just the central part!

So are there 2 different Aero grilles, one for no spots and one for spots? :confused:

·
MINI memories...
508 Posts
I''ve been asking this question in another thread. I think the Dooper has a different bonnet and grill to the standard Cooper. i know for a fact the Aero grill for the S has a different part number for the one for the Cooper.

i'm going to ring my Cotswold BMW parts guy next week, and get him to look it up for me.

I'm still hoping the S grill will fit my Dooper. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

·
Confused By Certain Users
9,613 Posts
I''ve been asking this question in another thread. I think the Dooper has a different bonnet and grill to the standard Cooper. i know for a fact the Aero grill for the S has a different part number for the one for the Cooper.

i'm going to ring my Cotswold BMW parts guy next week, and get him to look it up for me.

I'm still hoping the S grill will fit my Dooper. I'm going to try it tomorrow.
If you ring Chris at woodmans (telephone number in his sig) you will get the parts at a discounted price. ;)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
I don't know how he got the chrome surrounds to fit with the aero grill?? I had the area grill but had to have the black surrounds because the chrome ones (well the lower one atleast) was a different shape.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how he got the chrome surrounds to fit with the aero grill?? I had the area grill but had to have the black surrounds because the chrome ones (well the lower one atleast) was a different shape.
Surely if its all fitting in to the same place the shapes should be the same provided you've got the right parts...

i.e the Cooper Chrome Grille and Cooper Aero Grille should be the same shape or the Dooper Chrome Grille and Dooper Aero Grille should be the same shape?

:confused:

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The Aero grille will fit any bonnet slot - it's bumper compatability where the issue lies.

The aero grille will ONLY fit either the Cooper S front bumper, or the Aero kit front bumper.

If you notice - Hickster also fitted the S bumper ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Aero grille will fit any bonnet slot - it's bumper compatability where the issue lies.

The aero grille will ONLY fit either the Cooper S front bumper, or the Aero kit front bumper.

If you notice - Hickster also fitted the S bumper ;)
But Chip who has the CR/B Cooper has the aero grill with the standard Cooper bumper and chrome surrounds.

·
Confused By Certain Users
9,613 Posts
But the Chrome & black surrounds both fit the Aero bumper....the plot indeed thickens!:D (See Scoobydoos Cooper)
I think it's a plot by MINI to make people by the JCW Kit. :p

It's a bit like the standard side scuttles, they have made them look horrible (my opinion) so people by the new JCW side scuttles and Clubman side scuttles. :p

1 - 20 of 252 Posts
About this Discussion
251 Replies
39 Participants
fcminicoopers
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing