MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 252 Posts

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
But the Chrome & black surrounds both fit the Aero bumper....the plot indeed thickens!:D (See Scoobydoos Cooper)
There may well be a variation of black surrounds available for Cooper/One but as far as I know, they only fit the S and Aero S bumpers.

Jo, you need to specifically ask for the Cooper D aero grille (although it is the same as the S) as the Cooper/One grille is a slightly different shape to the D and S grille. The Aero grille can certainly be fitted to the D and I think you can use your exisitng chrome surround. If in doubt, ask the dealer if he'll give you a refund if it doesn't work - afterall its the least they could do considering your purchasing a highly specced car from them. :)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jo, you need to specifically ask for the Cooper D aero grille (although it is the same as the S) as the Cooper/One grille is a slightly different shape to the D and S grille. The Aero grille can certainly be fitted to the D and I think you can use your exisitng chrome surround. If in doubt, ask the dealer if he'll give you a refund if it doesn't work - afterall its the least they could do considering your purchasing a highly specced car from them. :)
Thanks for that Paul, will do :)

·
MINI memories...
508 Posts
Thanks to Hickster for the information on the Cooper D.

I'm still confused though: Is what Jo and others are calling the 'Aero' grill actually the JCW grill? The Aero grill (as fitted with the Aero kit) is a black 3-louvre version designed to be sprayed the body colour.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=137204&d=1189716534

The JCW grill looks a bit like the S grill (with rounded holes), and can also have the black upper and lower parts instead of chrome.

MINI - John Cooper Works* - MINI Cooper S Areodinamic Pagkage*

Have I just got it completely wrong? Can someone clarify this?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts

I'm still confused though: Is what Jo and others are calling the 'Aero' grill actually the JCW grill? The Aero grill (as fitted with the Aero kit) is a black 3-louvre version designed to be sprayed the body colour.

The JCW grill looks a bit like the S grill (with rounded holes), and can also have the black upper and lower parts instead of chrome.

There's two Aero Kits - the MINI Aero Kit, and the JCW Aero Kit.....

The one you refer to with the bar grille is the MINI aero kit.... the one with the black surround and black honeycomb centre is the JCW Aero grille.

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
I think this is what you want. You need a Cooper S or Cooper D JCW Aero grill and the bottom chrome trim from a Cooper S. It does fit but not quite as the standard bumper is narrower than the Aero bumper and it does scratch the bumper when you fit it and the chrome trim can come loose.

Attachments

·
Confused By Certain Users
9,613 Posts

Me and Jo are on about the JCW Aero Grille (which is the same or very very similar to the standard S Grille)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Did you get the grille off eBay or from MINI?
got it all from MINI

Surely if its all fitting in to the same place the shapes should be the same provided you've got the right parts...

i.e the Cooper Chrome Grille and Cooper Aero Grille should be the same shape or the Dooper Chrome Grille and Dooper Aero Grille should be the same shape?

:confused:
Nope - the aero grill is a different shape and the holes where the grill fits in are in defferent places and there is a lip on the riginal chrome grill where is recesses into the chrome grill, but on the aero gril it fits almost flush.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
I think this is what you want. You need a Cooper S or Cooper D JCW Aero grill and the bottom chrome trim from a Cooper S. It does fit but not quite as the standard bumper is narrower than the Aero bumper and it does scratch the bumper when you fit it and the chrome trim can come loose.
I have to say the fitting of the bottom surround looks very iffy on your pic :eek:

·
Back in a first gen.
1,386 Posts
Right....... to clarify whats on my car (and yes the pics in Jo's first post are both of my MINI).

I had the JCW bodykit fitted along with, of course the honeycombe grille and the black surrounds. I then decided that I didn't like the look of the black surround so I took those off and put back on the chrome surrounds from the original Cooper grille.

Also the black surround that I took off......... I sold to another R56 owner who fitted them to his original grille. So he now has the opposite of me - a chrome Cooper grille with black JCW surrounds oh and BTW he doesn't have the JCW front bumper.

So yes you can swap quite easily between the JCW grille and surrounds and the standard Cooper grille and surround and all items fit both the original Cooper bumper and the JCW front bumper.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Right....... to clarify whats on my car (and yes the pics in Jo's first post are both of my MINI).

I had the JCW bodykit fitted along with, of course the honeycombe grille and the black surrounds. I then decided that I didn't like the look of the black surround so I took those off and put back on the chrome surrounds from the original Cooper grille.

Also the black surround that I took off......... I sold to another R56 owner who fitted them to his original grille. So he now has the opposite of me - a chrome Cooper grille with black JCW surrounds oh and BTW he doesn't have the JCW front bumper.

So yes you can swap quite easily between the JCW grille and surrounds and the standard Cooper grille and surround and all items fit both the original Cooper bumper and the JCW front bumper.

I thought it was something like that. :D

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
OK, as I first though and as Adam has said above, the exisitng chrome lower surround will not fit the JCW Aero Grille. As you can see in the image below, the surround is much deeper than the Aero surround and the clips are in different places (there's also fewer of them).

This is probably because in reality, the lower surround of the chrome grille is also the bottom slat - hence its depth. On the JCW Aero grille, it's just a surround.

Also, for those who are interested, the black aero lower surround will not fit correctly onto anything other than a cooper S or JCW front bumper as the corners are different (see pic below and Grifter's pic earlier).

All I can suggest is that you should talk to your dealer.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
:)

I did try and tell everyone lol. I think you are right in saying that it is due to the chrome one being the depth of the grill vs. the aero surround only being a surround to hide the clips. However i think its silly that they only make them in black and not chrome too!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
OK, as I first though and as Adam has said above, the exisitng chrome lower surround will not fit the JCW Aero Grille. As you can see in the image below, the surround is much deeper than the Aero surround and the clips are in different places (there's also fewer of them).

This is probably because in reality, the lower surround of the chrome grille is also the bottom slat - hence its depth. On the JCW Aero grille, it's just a surround.

Also, for those who are interested, the black aero lower surround will not fit correctly onto anything other than a cooper S or JCW front bumper as the corners are different (see pic below and Grifter's pic earlier).

All I can suggest is that you should talk to your dealer.
So how on earth did ScoobyDoo fit it? :confused:

21 - 40 of 252 Posts
About this Discussion
251 Replies
39 Participants
fcminicoopers
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing