MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im about to fit a 3 spoke wheel into my mini to replace the existing 2 spoke wheel, My existing wheel does not have mfsw however my new one does ( I know the implications to get this to work) however i shall be leaving the switches on untill i can afford to possibly get this work complete. Now the problem i have is i was told if installing the wheel with the mfsw i would need a new slip ring, the wheel i bought had this connected with also half the steering column (non experienced dismantler i think :rolleyes: ) however reading last months modern mini this was not mentioned atall, so is it a matter of just swapping the actual steering wheel and airbag over and keeping the exisiting slip ring from the 2 spoke wheel?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
727 Posts
There are 2 types of slip ring.
8 track for ALL cars without MFSW &
16 track for all cars with MFSW
it does not matter what type of wheel is fitted 2 or 3 spoke.
Your 3 spoke MFSW will work with your existing slip ring EXCEPT for the MFSW switches.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou chris.lamb, i shall be keeping the orginial slip ring in for now but i will keep the new one for a later date for the mfsw. Just to confirm if i still keep the switches on the wheel but obviously not plugged in this will still be ok?
Thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
Should be fine, but make sure that the extra connector on the MFSW switches is stowed OK between the slip ring and the airbag as it will have nowhere to plug into. If its in the wrong place the Airbag may not fit OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts