MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any known engine issues to be aware of when looking to buy a 3rd Generation MINI? The timing chain problems have put me off looking for a 2nd Generation car.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Six all-new engines are offered for this Mini, 4 petrol, and 2 diesels: two models of a 1.2 litre three-cylinder petrol with either 75 bhp or 102 bhp, a 1.5 litre 3-cylinder petrol with 136 bhp, (BMW B38 engine), a 2.0 litre 4-cylinder petrol (BMW B48 engine) that produces 192 bhp for the Cooper S, and a 1.5 litre 3-cylinder diesel (BMW B37 engine) in 2 levels of power output: 95 bhp and 116 bhp (Cooper D), and a 2.0 litre turbo-diesel inline-4 (BMW B47 engine) that produces 168 bhp (Cooper SD). These engines are mated with a choice of either a 6-speed manual, a 6-speed automatic, or a 6-speed sports automatic gearbox
time will tell still fairly new tech and warranty and mileages on most not got to the magic point around 80k plus when things seem to undo them selves on past engines, wish bmw would stop putting thin timing chains on all their engines these days and still do this time will tell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mike1967.
Alternatively, looking back to the 2nd Generation diesel cars with the BMW N47 engine, roughly how much would it cost for a full replacement timing chain & gear set including labour?

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Thanks mike1967.
Alternatively, looking back to the 2nd Generation diesel cars with the BMW N47 engine, roughly how much would it cost for a full replacement timing chain & gear set including labour?
if you can get a garage to tie up their two post ramp for 2 to 3 days common is around £1800, word to wise i know someone fitted a cheap ebay kit and within a year was getting rattles off tension again,, bmw genuine would be best root for parts at least know it should do 80k min if oil changes are 8k and worth using a engine flush like seafoam, i know someone who adds a 1/4 can of wyns engine treatment in his oil makes the oil tab thicker but makes the oil stick to the metal parts better when cold if that makes sense,, i've been doing same trick on high miles prince engines and helps reduce oil usage,, but can effect lifters badly if use to much,
will add this all bmw own engines are silly money for parts, the shared prince engines the parts are cheap when compared, ie timing chain kit for prince gen 2 cars genuine £215 from ocean bmw for partial kit,, the n47 is bmw own engine so will be expensive for parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts