MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
why. The only weak link in the Fiat brand is the delaer and that has always been the case. The engines they develope are some of the best in the world. look at all the JTD's They are also a pioneer in the Camless Pneumatic valve tecnology which is going to reshape the petrol engine for years to come. The chassis is great, when was the last time you drove a Fiat.

To be honest the idea of merging with FIAT seems a better idea than the previous merge with PSA. Also i suppose you are aware they have a twin turbo 1.9 JTD engine in the new lancia delta which would easily drop in the mini, its 190 bhp stnadard and would make a very nice Dooper JCW.

It sounds great tie up to me. Oh and dare i mention the amount of technology FIAT borrow from Maserati and ferrari.

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I have a problem with it, but I reckon some MINI fans might!

Though if the next Mito drives just like a MINI (the current one doesn't apparently) I have always fancied an Alfa....

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
I was a bit shocked at first, but to be honest I wouldnt touch anything from the Peugot Citroen group with a barge pole.
So why not, that Mito looks like kak though as does the 8c despite being a TVR rip off and it would not be built very well. Were running the repmobile sized Alfa at work and well... its an Alfa
It eats tyres is poor on fuel loves the garage, damn site more fun than a Peugot 407 though.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Read this in Automotive News and I think it's an interesting one. Perhaps BMWs reputation for reliability and chassis tuning will boost FIAT and Alfa, perhaps it will turn out the other way around. Be interesting to watch though.

MINI on a shared platform though, might mean a lot of negative vibes from people.

·
Now Aero Kitted!
330 Posts
must admit to liking the Alfa Mito and Grande Punto - Ive owned a few Fiats in the past (Uno Turbos) and must have been one of the lucky ones coz mine were reliable (a lot more reliable than my MINIs :aargh:)

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
must admit to liking the Alfa Mito and Grande Punto - Ive owned a few Fiats in the past (Uno Turbos) and must have been one of the lucky ones coz mine were reliable (a lot more reliable than my MINIs :aargh:)
I'll reserve judgment on the MiTo until I see it at the London Motorshow this month. The rear end so far looks great, not too keen on the front, but in the flesh will help :)

The Alfa I'd buy is...

Just make it back, and make sure it has a V6 (has my wheels and interior)...

Oh god not again :eek::eek::eek::p

Not quite a MINI I grant, but what a stunning looking car :eek:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The MINI chassis is perfect anyway - why change it?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Would it save money though - they would still have to buy the chassis off Fiat, and then transport then from Italy. Apart from that, BMW said that they were making engines in the UK to make the car 100% British (or as near as you can go with them as owners:rolleyes:), so sharing a chassis with a Punto isn't the way to achieve this! Still if they pass the savings on to us I'm happy!

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Why are you assuming that MINI will be 'buying' anything from Fiat? :confused:

The current engine-share with PSA doesn't mean either company is buying anything from the other. They co-developed the engine, and now each build their own in their own factories.

And '100% British' merely means assembled in Britain. Very few, if any, of the components used are of British origin.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Apart from that, BMW said that they were making engines in the UK to make the car 100% British.
Never seen or heard them make that statement. They do talk about the "production triangle" and support for the UK manufacturing industry etc, but I don't think they would dare say what you just did. :eek:

As Scrogg says too, co-operation is often about sharing development and tooling costs, as well as some manufacturing, plus of course the join buying power and so on. It's all to do with economies of scale.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Why are you assuming that MINI will be 'buying' anything from Fiat? :confused:
Because it is their chassis

The current engine-share with PSA doesn't mean either company is buying anything from the other. They co-developed the engine, and now each build their own in their own factories.

And '100% British' merely means assembled in Britain. Very few, if any, of the components used are of British origin.
Well I know they aren't of British origin - the CD player is made in the Czech republic but I meant the main bits like the pressing of panels. I just don't see why they would want to use the Punto chassis when the one that they have is well respected and a reason why people buy MINIs.

But surely if they were made in different factories, economies of scale wouldn't really work.

At the end of the day, if I wanted a punto, I'd have bought a punto.

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
Would it save money though - they would still have to buy the chassis off Fiat, and then transport then from Italy. Apart from that, BMW said that they were making engines in the UK to make the car 100% British (or as near as you can go with them as owners:rolleyes:), so sharing a chassis with a Punto isn't the way to achieve this! Still if they pass the savings on to us I'm happy!
yeah, that'll really happen, this is BMW we're talking about :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts