MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked my brand new MCS on Saturday, couldnt have been happier, looks great, handles great and sounds excellant! Heres a summary of the first 4 days: clocked up a few miles on Saturday, washed it on Sunday, didnt use it on Monday at all, ran it to work Tues and today. Now i am getting a horrible feeling regarding this car...

Saturday - Out driving the car and the central locking takes a funny spell while in motion, locking and unlocking itself.

Tuesday - Squeeks, buzzes and rattles appearing, disappearing, and reappearing inside (dash, doors, seatbelt height adjuster). I was ok about this, definitely would wait till i have done more miles and plastics have had a chance to 'settle' before making a decision on these.
Later I put the drivers window down so i could hear the popping & crackling - met with a loud squeek/screetch noise as the window drops. Still there. :(

Wednesday - Arrive at work and decide to adjust the lumbar supports with engine running, put it in neutral and hey presto - fairly loud 'chattering' (sewing machine noise?) from clutch or gearbox on idle. Noise dissappears when clutch pedal is pressed in. :(

Its only 4 days old with 150 miles on the clock! The future doesnt look good.... :(

I hate taking my car to the dealers to have work done because you undoubtedly come home with marks on your car or new problems. I really expected better build quality than this, especially on an 05 model and a hefty price tag.

The gearbox/clutch noise is my big worry, i searched the forums and found a lot of threads on this topic, but the last one is from about dec 2003, looked like the problem had been cured. Now i seem to have an 05 with the problem, should i be concerned? Should i see how things go or get it to a dealer straight away?

Would i be within my rights to reject this car if the clutch/gearbox/flywheel was to need replacing so soon?

·
A GinGer ******
108 Posts
Ok I'm getting VERY concerned now as my MSC should be with me March 05

'Squeeks, buzzes and rattles appearing, disappearing, and reappearing inside (dash, doors, seatbelt height adjuster)'

This would drive me up the wall! can not stand them sort of noises

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
yes it is a concern, sorry to hear about the problems your experiencing certainly very annoying for a brand new car! I too get my new 05 MCS monday/tuesday next week and would very dissapointed if I experienced all the problems you have had so far :(

Definately get the dealer to sort it out, and explain what youve written on the forum and how you are dissapointed with it considering its brand new!! Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is reason to be concerned, but others should not panic. My 05 MCS now has just over 4000 miles on the clock and absolutely no problems. Good luck! I'm sure that your dealer will make it right.

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
Well as you said, you probably will have to take it to the dealer to get these problems resolved, as problems don't go away on their own. To put the other posters concerns away waiting there new MCS' (but not to make you feel bad bc_seventy_six), my '05 MCS has been flawless since I bought it (over 3 months and 4200 miles later). Just a couple minor rattles and squeaks.

Cheers to everything working out for you bc!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AndrewLondon - Definitely not the auto-locking at 12mph, we were out and about so the doors had already locked. Driving along then they took a wee funny turn – lock/unlock or lock/unlock/lock cant remember, anyway it hasn’t done it since.

I am just looking for some advice about these probs, totally gutted after waiting so long for the car, being totally chuffed and now its possible it might need work done within 4 days and 150 miles (144 to be exact).

I will keep an ear on things over the next few days and see how it goes, if anyone has any advice feel free, all help appreciated. The clutch/gearbox noise is the biggy, hope its gone after my drive home tonight, I will be listening intently once its parked in the garage.

And for everyone waiting on theirs, don’t worry, its still a cracking car!

·
Registered
375 Posts
bc_seventy_six said:
Picked my brand new MCS on Saturday... Its only 4 days old with 150 miles on the clock! The future doesnt look good....
Sounds like your new MINI is doing MUCH better than our's did. Our September build 2005 MCS only lasted us just over a week and 168 miles! We no longer have the car and are currently waiting for our replacement MCS to arrive in February. It really sucks paying all that money for a brand new car and then not being able to drive it for months. :mad:

ALL MINI's ARE JUNK!

It's just too bad that they're so damn much fun to drive. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine is going in on friday to have clutch rattle problem looked at , maybe a new gearbox fitted , so i'll let you all know the out come.
i also have the same concerns about them maybe causing other problems , fingers crossed .
the power steering is also quite screechy when the car is first started from cold so hopefully this will also be sorted .
the interior buzzes and squeeks including the seat belt adjuster are also there but tend to go away once the interior has heated up.

having said all that i wouldn't be at all surpised if most new car's have similar niggles
due to " they don't make like they used to "

my last car was a 88 3.2 911 and in 2 years and 12000 miles was totally rattle and squeek free and next to no problems at all .

steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unlucky mate.

Picked my MCS up on saturday just clocked up 600 miles, and no problems reported so far, just can't stop smiling. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I had the same noise and when you press down the clutch it goes away - a few people have had this, I had my gearbox replaced at 6000miles it was so servere, not impressed by it but better than it going when its out of warranty, most of the S's ive driven or had have had the odd rattle or squeek, which I think is inevitable in a car with quite a harsh ride but there is a limit to what we have to put up with, anyway best of luck with the car, know what you mean about spending all that money on a car for it to have probs - tis v annoying.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
bc_seventy_six said:
Picked my brand new MCS on Saturday, couldnt have been happier, looks great, handles great and sounds excellant! Heres a summary of the first 4 days: clocked up a few miles on Saturday, washed it on Sunday, didnt use it on Monday at all, ran it to work Tues and today. Now i am getting a horrible feeling regarding this car...

Saturday - Out driving the car and the central locking takes a funny spell while in motion, locking and unlocking itself.

Tuesday - Squeeks, buzzes and rattles appearing, disappearing, and reappearing inside (dash, doors, seatbelt height adjuster). I was ok about this, definitely would wait till i have done more miles and plastics have had a chance to 'settle' before making a decision on these.
Later I put the drivers window down so i could hear the popping & crackling - met with a loud squeek/screetch noise as the window drops. Still there. :(

Wednesday - Arrive at work and decide to adjust the lumbar supports with engine running, put it in neutral and hey presto - fairly loud 'chattering' (sewing machine noise?) from clutch or gearbox on idle. Noise dissappears when clutch pedal is pressed in. :(

Its only 4 days old with 150 miles on the clock! The future doesnt look good.... :(

I hate taking my car to the dealers to have work done because you undoubtedly come home with marks on your car or new problems. I really expected better build quality than this, especially on an 05 model and a hefty price tag.

The gearbox/clutch noise is my big worry, i searched the forums and found a lot of threads on this topic, but the last one is from about dec 2003, looked like the problem had been cured. Now i seem to have an 05 with the problem, should i be concerned? Should i see how things go or get it to a dealer straight away?

Would i be within my rights to reject this car if the clutch/gearbox/flywheel was to need replacing so soon?
The rattles and noises in my car are much more noticable in cold weather, but mine isnt that bad, in fact I barely notice any noise now...

The gearbox is a bigger issue, I had eactly the same problem, Mine is a June 03 MCS, and eventually in Feb this year they replaced the gearbox and the noise went, dont take "its a characteristic" from them if they wont sort it go to Mini UK (I had to), after much arguing they gave in... You could try searching for a thread I started, theres some good info in there...

But go to your dealer straight away, then in the future you can always say that you told them as soon as you got the car... plus keep a record of all conversations you have with them, who it was and dates, I could have got mine sorted much quicker if i'd done that !.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Parc77 and Steve1968 -

Can you tell me what the dealers have said about your problems, were they aware of this issue? Are they sure its solely a gearbox issue or is it a combination of both clutch and gearbox? I also read a few posts on here where dealers have replced the flywheel also.

How old are your cars? Whats the mileage? How long has it taken to get things sorted?

I want to gather as much information as possible just incase i am faced with the 'its a characteristic of the car' line. Steve if you could let me know how you get on once the car has had the work done that would be much appreciated.

NorthAndy i am off to re-read your thread (might pm you to pick your brains later ;) )

·
Registered
66 Posts
my car is a march 04 build, i bought it privatly in october and took it to my local dealer about a month later , do a search on " clutch rattle " what the dealer said is in there.
i definatly won't be accepting that its a "characteristic ".

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My car is a Feb04 build and I have done almost 20,000miles since then (alot I know), I noticed the rattle but thought it was just a characteristic, but it got louder, I took the car into Scotthall Mini in Leeds and there technician came out to listen to it, he said straight away he had heard it before on other cars and that I may need a new clutch or gearbox but it definatly needed to come in as it was loud and I had started to notice burning smells (not good). This was at approximatly 6000miles but I had noticed it slightly at around 1800miles but didnt think that much of it, I wasnt happy at the 6000mile stage so it went in a week later and a new gearbox was installed under warranty, the technician did say initially that he thought it maybe the clutch release bearing.
Havent had any problems since, I was told by the supplying dealership that they had a car in the same batch as when i picked up mine, that they had a MCS in with the exact same problem, the gearbox was also replaced on this and the car was then fine. Hope this is of some help .....best of luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for the info Parc and Steve (Steve can you let me know how you get on) - it amazes me how they go straight for the gearbox change, seems like they obviously know there is an issue and this is the way to remedy - a hefty and expensive fix.

NorthAndy - You seem to have had a lot more hassle, did your dealer end up going from denying there was a problem to accepting it and fixing? What did they actually account the noise to in the end?

I bought this car because it was probably the most fun car i have ever driven, however my first week of ownership fun levels have been zero :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts