MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 New Tires?!!!
Took my s in for a brake fluid sensor light that came on, they topped it off, but then told me my tires need to be replaced? Anyone out there know what’s going on with the 2007 air tire sensor? The dealer states that the sensors won’t trigger unless one tire is more than 5 lbs less than any other tire. I’m wondering if my sensor is bad, they tell me NO! Looking for some help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
4 New Tires?!!!
Took my s in for a brake fluid sensor light that came on, they topped it off, but then told me my tires need to be replaced? Anyone out there know what’s going on with the 2007 air tire sensor? The dealer states that the sensors won’t trigger unless one tire is more than 5 lbs less than any other tire. I’m wondering if my sensor is bad, they tell me NO! Looking for some help!
Buy a tyre pressure meter at halfords for a few quid and drive to a petrol station to inflate the tyres to their recommended pressure. Then do a couple of pressure measures at consistent time intervals to see if the tyres deflate. Write the values down, so you have some data that you can show to your dealership.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Buy a tyre pressure meter at halfords for a few quid and drive to a petrol station to inflate the tyres to their recommended pressure. Then do a couple of pressure measures at consistent time intervals to see if the tyres deflate. Write the values down, so you have some data that you can show to your dealership.
i think he is from america looking at the flag.....not sure if they have halfords there :p:p

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
it sounds a bit odd to say 4 new tyres for a tyre air pressure sensor going off. the sensor goes off when a tyre is revolving at a different rate than the other three. generally, that's due to one being low on pressure. but that would mean one tyre is low, which could just be due to changes in weather (for instance, if you're getting the cold weather some parts are, can affect air pressure). or due to a slow leak, or a puncture, or due to a broken stem value, etc.

usually the only reason for replacing all four is if you've managed to run them down to minimal safe tread ...

the light can come on also if you hit a pothole or curb with the car. and it might need resetting.

someone with an 07 will have to tell you about how to reset the tyre warning light. mine's an 06, so i'm not sure if you have the same reset button by the parking brake that the 06 has or not ...

i'd get a tyre guage ... they're cheap, and always good to have in the glove box. check the tyre pressures against what they're supposed to be, and check your manual about resetting the 2007's tyre warning light.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They need to give you a better explanation than that, why would you need 4 new tires because of a bad tire pressure sensor? Something is very fishy...

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Just because you have a flat tire monitor does not mean that you shouldn't be checking the pressure when you tank up. If they lost pressure, which happens at this time of year due to the colder weather, you should have added some pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts