MINI Cooper Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
Joined
·
42,467 Posts
le_knut said:
I don't know if somebody already posted, but my dealer said the four wheel drived version is confirmed and we can expect it in about two to three years. And the main purpose of the AWD will most likely be to bring all the power of the new turbo engine to the street :)

And besides that there will be some 3-door (2 on the passenger side, the rear one will open towards the back), longer version of the Mini.
I've seen or heard nothing, official or otherwise, that they are going to release a 4WD MINI for public consumption.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
well, my dealer told me, and some BMW Switzerland guy... Considering that I wanted to buy the John Cooper Works Kit, I don't think the dealer had told me that if it weren't true and rather sold me the kit.

Please don't blame me in 2 or 3 years when there's no 4WD :)
 

·
Carpe Diem
Joined
·
321 Posts
TT's were "designed that way from day 1"...

GordonD said:
Put another engine in the back seat - that's what they did last time.

On a more serious note it is a pain to get a 'crossways' engine to turn power through 90 degrees to drive a shaft to the rear wheels. Obviously not impossible but you would want to design it that way from day 1.

If VAG does it with the Audi TT why would it not be plausible with a Mini?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
VAG's Haldex solution is a huge NO, imho. We don't want that. A permanent all wheel drive is what we seek with, at least, rear LSD. Also most of the torque to be driven on the rear axle first. VAG's cars are FWD in normal conditions.
If they need to "copy" someone let that be Mitsubishi and Subaru.
 

·
Carpe Diem
Joined
·
321 Posts
Yes... Torsen over Haldex... I concur.

ananiou said:
VAG's Haldex solution is a huge NO, imho. We don't want that. A permanent all wheel drive is what we seek with, at least, rear LSD. Also most of the torque to be driven on the rear axle first. VAG's cars are FWD in normal conditions.
If they need to "copy" someone let that be Mitsubishi and Subaru.
So you are a fan of Torsen... I am as well. Subies are biased systems though... sending more power to the whichever (outer) wheels are requiring such. But I resoundingly agree with you as to the use of Torsen over Haldex.

I actually just used the TT as a "small car" example not actually thinking of the AWD system involved. I am sick of VAG cars... and that is why I traded my '01.5 6spd. Audi S4 in for the new 6 spd. Mini Cooper S.

The new "S" pleases me much more than the former. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I don't think S4 is "sick" to drive though, i wouldn't mind having one. S4 is a torsen car, as all S and RS models over S3. The TT car is based on the golf chassis, i guess that's why the "small car", so it was left with haldex which undermined the cars sport characteristics.
The reason i support the RWD 4x4 system it's because you can over steer the current S pretty easy. So a version of that kind wouldn't be something new to current owners.
Unless they drive to the market and back.
What I am trying to say is that a model which it will be useless for dynamic driving is not what the S, current or future, owners need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
ananiou said:
I don't think S4 is "sick" to drive though, i wouldn't mind having one. S4 is a torsen car, as all S and RS models over S3. The TT car is based on the golf chassis, i guess that's why the "small car", so it was left with haldex which undermined the cars sport characteristics.
The reason i support the RWD 4x4 system it's because you can over steer the current S pretty easy. So a version of that kind wouldn't be something new to current owners.
Unless they drive to the market and back.
What I am trying to say is that a model which it will be useless for dynamic driving is not what the S, current or future, owners need.
First off, you can understeer the current MCS very easily, not oversteer. On a RWD platform, oversteer would be prevelant. Oversteer is a lot harder for normal drivers to handle (think Porsche) so a platform like that wouldn't be very safe. Also a mini is just not a mini if it's rwd. Also, they could just do a continuously varying split like Subaru and use electronics to determine which wheels should get the power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
You can not power over steer like you would in a RWD car. But interesting things happen when you lift off the accelerator on the apex or left brake at the entrance of the corner. Even though this kind of driving is not encouraged you can do it with the MINI or Clio unlike Golf for example which doesn't feel "happy" in these driving techniques. MINI have the potential to be driven in many ways and that's fine by me. If the daily driver can't help it, especially in a RWD car, he can drive it with the help of electronics like DSC or ESP. In no way i suggest they should build a car so difficult like Porsche used to be. But they should at least try not to turn MINI into a fashion statement, if haven't already.
So do you think that a 4x4 MINI oriented for the snow resort is more "MINI" than a FWD, RWD or 4x4 version build for driving pleasure? I wouldn't want that car. And if they do it they should concider building a version for the petrol heads, like Renault did with Clio V6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,592 Posts
kapps said:
First off, you can understeer the current MCS very easily, not oversteer. On a RWD platform, oversteer would be prevelant. Oversteer is a lot harder for normal drivers to handle (think Porsche) so a platform like that wouldn't be very safe. Also a mini is just not a mini if it's rwd. Also, they could just do a continuously varying split like Subaru and use electronics to determine which wheels should get the power.
Depends what you're used to / learned to drive on. I guess I'm an old fart, cos I learned on RWD, and understeer still scares the bejeesus out of me:eek: . I just find it unnatural. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
4WD conversion

USe the engine and running gear from a Nissan Pulsar GTiR
Benefits from loads of cheap parts and loads of easily obtainable mod bits to knock the power up way past 300bhp and you can also get stroker kits to go up to 2.3 litre
The car is about the same size and the Pulsar has bugger all space under the bonnet :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman.

on a real note i dont see this happening the mini is a front hooker 4WD will add too much weight / under steer without something like the evos active yaw control it would be a pig and the mini isnt supposed to be a tech fest theres reasons why folk aint fitting 4WD to hatches ford didnt on the new RS and old RS focus as they said it added to much weight and wasnt of real cost - performance benefit
 

Attachments

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
58 Participants
mab01uk
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing
Top