MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...we are still running strong...what will go wrong...???...

...sometimes the clutch make a little moan...it has always done
that, though...

...I am shur glad my 2003 S is grey on grey...you blokes with the gayly colored Minis have a tuff row to hoe, methinks...40.000 miles and no tickets on me grey unit, but one run on a black loaner unit with a white roof w/ racing stipes and checkered mirrors got me pulled out of a crowd of traffic for 71 in a 55...WTF...!!!...how do you cope...!!!...

...even the traffic seemed to respond aggresivly to the flamoyent Mini...I felt like I was motoring along down the road in a rolling bass lure...!!!... .!.:D.!.

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
Hapo said:

that, though...

...I am shur glad my 2003 S is grey on grey...you blokes with the gayly colored Minis have a tuff row to hoe, methinks...40.000 miles and no tickets on me grey unit, but one run on a black loaner unit with a white roof w/ racing stipes and checkered mirrors got me pulled out of a crowd of traffic for 71 in a 55...WTF...!!!...how do you cope...!!!...

...even the traffic seemed to respond aggresivly to the flamoyent Mini...I felt like I was motoring along down the road in a rolling bass lure...!!!... .!.:D.!.
I agree Hapo.

Go grey, go dark, I've done that for years. 25 years to be exact, and to ticket to show for it. :D

Say, we have quite a lot in common I think.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hapo said:

that, though...

The black one mine :D :D :D :bad: :bad:

·
There is no spoon
179 Posts
Hapo said:

that, though...

About to hit 60,000 probably this weekend, apart from the whistling at above 80mph, the car is going fine.
As for colours and tickets, unfortunately speed camera are not so discerning with colour, got my picture taken by one of those nasty mobile cameras in a van job. Just coming off a roundabout into a bend, v nice in the mini. 38 in a 30 swines !

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
MickPad said:
About to hit 60,000 probably this weekend, apart from the whistling at above 80mph, the car is going fine.
As for colours and tickets, unfortunately speed camera are not so discerning with colour, got my picture taken by one of those nasty mobile cameras in a van job. Just coming off a roundabout into a bend, v nice in the mini. 38 in a 30 swines !
38 in a 30?! Jeez...why bother...?!?!

Heard the darker the vehcile, the harder it is for radar to pick it up. The lighter vehicle can be picked up from a further distance, thus making them easier targets I suppose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
cooper76 - re your #5

"Heard the darker the vehcile, the harder it is for radar to pick it up. The lighter vehicle can be picked up from a further distance, thus making them easier targets I suppose."

That's an interesting statement. I suspect that it's more to do with the reflectivity of the paint than colour as such - though it would seem that darker colours may be more radar absorbent (eg Stealth aircraft which are black - but that could aslo be for visual camouflage). Do automobile paints, which presumably are formulated for weather / chemical protection, have good absorbent qualities also? I note that most microwave ovens (which emit similar waves to radar) require good reflectivity to cook well & they are usually white inside - this would tend to support the initial statement.

Any science PhDs out there? - I'm just going on my schoolboy physics!

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Hapo said:
Nothing will go wrong until your MINI is one day out of the warranty period.... :rolleyes: :D

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
0007 said:
"Heard the darker the vehcile, the harder it is for radar to pick it up. The lighter vehicle can be picked up from a further distance, thus making them easier targets I suppose."

That's an interesting statement. I suspect that it's more to do with the reflectivity of the paint than colour as such - though it would seem that darker colours may be more radar absorbent (eg Stealth aircraft which are black - but that could aslo be for visual camouflage). Do automobile paints, which presumably are formulated for weather / chemical protection, have good absorbent qualities also? I note that most microwave ovens (which emit similar waves to radar) require good reflectivity to cook well & they are usually white inside - this would tend to support the initial statement.

Any science PhDs out there? - I'm just going on my schoolboy physics!
Yep, it has to do with the lower reflectivity of darker vehicles. On a perfectly jet black car, a radar shiner will have to hit your front license plate (if available) or your headlamps to get an accurate reading, all of which may not be possible depending on spotting angle and time when the spotter shoots your vehicle. Light-colored cars on the other hand not only provide a larger radar target, but a target available from a further distance as well.

But don't take this to mean that black cars are invunerable. They certainly are not. They are just a good deal more difficult to shine than their lighter breathren. All the good for me.
;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.