MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me that the 2005 Cooper would have had better MPG figures (and lower cabin noise) if it didn't rev so highly at 'normal' motorway cruising speeds, ie at 80mph it's almost 4000rpm.

Perhaps they could have had different gearing, or given us a 6th gear?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
With the old gearing my 2002 MC is doing about 90MPH at 4000RPMs and the gas mileage is better with the old box too, though it is slower in 0-60MPH and passing in 4th gear, but how often does one pass in 4th???. The old gearing was a bit too tall at the short end but now it seems it is a bit too short at the long end.

That said, the newer trannies are likely slower 0-100km/h as the Cooper now requires an extra shift at 95km/h while the old box went over 100km/h in 2nd gear. Top speed is now about 8km/h slower too with the short box. They probably wanted to save the 6th gear for the MCS just as a feature, which is stupid marketing IMO.

Harry

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree on the revvy gearing. I have an '05 MCS 6 speed, my engine is at about 3,000 RPM at 70MPH.

3,000 RPM at 70 is a bit high for most modern cars. Too bad the final drive ratio isn't about 10-15% lower!

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
vagt6 said:
I agree on the revvy gearing. I have an '05 MCS 6 speed, my engine is at about 3,000 RPM at 70MPH.

3,000 RPM at 70 is a bit high for most modern cars. Too bad the final drive ratio isn't about 10-15% lower!
Of course most modern cars have far larger engines...
Even Honda is using 2.0l motors in their US-market Civics, and the VW 1.8s are all significantly turbocharged. Mazda/Ford even uses a 2.3l motor in the 3/Focus.
I think the only US-market cars with engines smaller than the one in the MINI are Toyota/Scion and some Hyundais.

-Eric

ps – if it makes you feel any better, my 73 Beetle turns around 3800 at 70.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm actually a fan of the new Getrag gearbox :p

It makes full uses of the Cooper's minimal torque by the shorter gearings, hence much better in-gear acceleration...

I've had difficulties trying to pass cars at around 130km/h on a slightly uphill motorway before with the pre-facelifted MC, now my '05 model Cooper just have enough "go" to accelerate from 120km/h+ at fifth on uphill!!!

I hvn't driven the car over 150km/h as I didn't need to down under (the max legal speed limit is only 110km/h here) and the car's still very quiet at that speed around 4,250rpm - so it actually makes sense to subsititute a bit of Top Speed for faster in-gear acceleration (to me anyway).

Obviously from other parts of the world ppl may have different thoughts on this ;)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
PM_ said:
I'm actually a fan of the new Getrag gearbox :p

It makes full uses of the Cooper's minimal torque by the shorter gearings, hence much better in-gear acceleration...

I've had difficulties trying to pass cars at around 130km/h on a slightly uphill motorway before with the pre-facelifted MC, now my '05 model Cooper just have enough "go" to accelerate from 120km/h+ at fifth on uphill!!!
"Better in-gear acceleration" -- what do you mean by that? All acceleration is in gear :confused:

But why pass in 5th gear? At 120km/h to pass I downshift into 3rd gear and new tranny or old tranny I'll be accelerating a lot faster than you in 5th gear. Manual transmissions are made to be shifted -- what is this aversion to shifting??? Not to be arrogant but may I perhaps suggest an automatic if you don't like shifting to pass?

Harry

·
Registered
65 Posts
HarryIndiBlue said:
"Better in-gear acceleration" -- what do you mean by that? All acceleration is in gear :confused:

But why pass in 5th gear? At 120km/h to pass I downshift into 3rd gear and new tranny or old tranny I'll be accelerating a lot faster than you in 5th gear. Manual transmissions are made to be shifted -- what is this aversion to shifting??? Not to be arrogant but may I perhaps suggest an automatic if you don't like shifting to pass?

Harry

I think what HarryIndiBlue, is trying to say - and correct my if im wrong. But, he means that there is more accelleration through the gears, as in it pulls better with the new box.

And I beleive he means that he doesnt have to change gear, as the new box seems to promote enough pull to accellerate comfortably in 5th to pass on the motorway.

Although I am a shift man myself - down to 3rd and off it goes! Have got 127mph (or so the speedo says) out of the 05' MC. Then there was traffic - there was deffo more to come aswell!!

I have got a BMC CDA though, that really helps it suck in plenty of cold air - which is nice! :)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
But 5th gear is an overdrive gear, meant for good gas mileage while cruising, not good power while passing.

For the same reason, people mention that they like the S since the broad, flat torque curve means they don't have to downshift much but they aren't taking advantage of gearing if they don't downshift. A Cooper in 3rd at 120km/h will accelerate faster than an S in 6th gear at the same speed but if they want to pay more for less performance, I guess they can do what they want...

Harry

·
Registered
97 Posts
Obviously some read my mind and some don't ;) but that's ok :cool:

What I meant was, as someone probably have explained earlier, that I don't need to downshift as often as before (of course, when situation requires a downshift, the new '05 would've go quite a bit faster than the old one - as reflected in the official press release - 80km/h to 120km/h times in 4th is reduced to 10.5 secs).

How it actually helps is that when you are racing with a higher torque (most cars out there would've higher torque than our beloved Mini) you have better chance of winning in high-speed curves as you are able to keep the torque coming on relatively higher revs (where the max torque is around 4000rpm) due to closer ratios between the gears - try race with a 190Nm 206 GTi/S16 on a slightly uphill high-speed curve and you'd know what I mean. In-gear accleration is vital in getting the car going especially there isn't much to "torque" about in the Mini unfortunately :(

As I said, ppl may have different opinions, but I find myself travelling on 80-120km/h much more than going full on @ nearly 200km/h. As a result, I wouldn't mind shaving 7km/h off the top speed - but I'd like a full sec off the in-gear accleration time :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts