MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

Just been woken up by the alarm going off on my Mini Clubman (12 plate), but neither key would turn off or unlock the car. Tried taking the key out of the fob and manually opening which obviously unlocked the drive door of the car but putting the key in the ignition does nothing. Funny constant clicking sound heard from the engine even without any key inserted. Had to disconnect the battery.

Any idea's as to what has caused this or why?

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Check the battery charge state and have it load tested, when Mini's batteries start to die or loose charge they will do rather odd things. My R50 wasn't driven for a while and I kept hearing a radio over several days when I was outside. found they battery had discharged to the point where is was almost 100% flat and they radio would come on at random times. Solution was to place the battery on a trickle charge over 3 days to full cycle the battery and have had no issues since. Due to the ECU etc there will always be a parasitic drain on the battery so they will never hold a charge over lengthy periods of non use or if only ever driven short distances. If lack of use is not the cause of discharge, you most likely have an aging battery that is due for replacement and be aware that your model Mini may need to have the Battery reset to the ECU so it knows that it has a new battery and this enables it to correctly charge the new battery, failure to do a battery reset can and will damage the new battery and reduce its lifespan. Also be mindful that a jumpstart and long drive will not correctly recharge a battery, hence the need to trickle charge for a min of 24 hrs or longer.

One other thing to consider is a footwell control module that can be faulty or water damaged, a club member here on his R56 had a module under the drivers seat go bad (right hand driver).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine went off last week at 5am on Monday.

Neighbours not happy and alarm would not turn off or doors open.

Mine was a dead battery. Had to charge battery before I could turn the alarm off.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I had to renew the battery on the R50 this week too. I can't complain really as I managed to squeeze 12 years out of it!

One thing that is worth noting, cars with the shytty stop/ start do tend to knock hell out of batteries (as well as other components), Manufacturers say that the batteries can handle it yet I've seen more younger cars with this technology eating batteries than older cars without the crappy stop start......

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I had to renew the battery on the R50 this week too. I can't complain really as I managed to squeeze 12 years out of it!

One thing that is worth noting, cars with the shytty stop/ start do tend to knock hell out of batteries (as well as other components), Manufacturers say that the batteries can handle it yet I've seen more younger cars with this technology eating batteries than older cars without the crappy stop start......
AGM batteries are better for cars with stop/start coz they can handle the constant strain.
Standard batteries tend to last for about 1 year in these modern cars

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts