MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

new on here but quite seasoned on other forums regarding my, dare i say it! astra!
anyway, tomorrow im going to pick up a cooper s for the wife! what im after knowing is what to look for?what engine code is it? what they like on fuel?and in this day and age what co2 emmisions does it put out! i have done a little hunting around on here but as most of you are aware, when you fisrt join a new forum finding your way around takes a little time! if anyone could give me a bit of a write up or add a link to a previous thread so i can find out then that would be great! thanks in advance chappies!!!!;)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
hi guys,

new on here but quite seasoned on other forums regarding my, dare i say it! astra!
anyway, tomorrow im going to pick up a cooper s for the wife! what im after knowing is what to look for?what engine code is it? what they like on fuel?and in this day and age what co2 emmisions does it put out! i have done a little hunting around on here but as most of you are aware, when you fisrt join a new forum finding your way around takes a little time! if anyone could give me a bit of a write up or add a link to a previous thread so i can find out then that would be great! thanks in advance chappies!!!!;)
Good choice of MINI there! :D

I can tell you about fuel consumption; they have a notorious reputation for drinking fuel, but it's all down to how it's driven. Get stuck in stop-start traffic and/or make full use of the performance and/or drive on the brakes and it will return low to mid 20's :eek: Keep out of traffic and drive sensibly and it'll return low 30's. Really concentrate and take it very smoothly and it will crack 40 mpg on a good day. Mine regularly does :)

CO2 is not good either, according to the official figures it's 207g. That'll mean a RFL of £210 now and £300 in April.

Welcome to Mini2 :D

Tigger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah yes, so i have! im sorry in advance to the moderators! what mods are available for the engine and what results! remaps and the likes? plus whats the cost of them!!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
ah yes, so i have! im sorry in advance to the moderators! what mods are available for the engine and what results! remaps and the likes? plus whats the cost of them!!
Fortunately, the generation of Cooper S that you have is very tunable :D MOT legal states of tune between 210 and even 390bhp are achievable, often with surprisingly little modification :D

He's not the cheapest, but for high quality work, I'd go here:

GT TUNING MINI PARTS & PERFORMANCE CONVERSION

Unless you've got money to burn, the £995 + VAT tune to 220bhp is probably the best VFM:

http://www.gtt.uk.com/packages.asp

Tigger.

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
Like the others have said, Tuning an S is quite easily done. GTT is a good place to go if you're down south. Modnmini in Kent, 1320MINI in Cambs, Lohen in Staffs., ThinkMini in Worcs and more as you go further North. A lot of these guys are MINI2 sponsors and easily contactable throught the sponsors sections. 200bhp plus is achieveable quite cheaply with Pulley/belt/plugs n filter change the beauty of MINI is it doesnt HAVE to be done at once. if you research first you can get an idea of what needs doing and do it as and when funds allow to get to you end result.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there anywhere nearer? im in halifax and all these seem to be down south? which engine number do i have as i have seen quite a lot of different ones on here and not sure which i have! picked it up yesterday and just round the corner i saw a mini with this forums sticker in the back! how strange is that! two days and already seen a car from here. fairly suited with the car but it seems a little flat! needs more go so it wont be long before the mods start. first im going with the pulley, panel filter and irridium plugs! going to do it myself and save some cash! dont know what results i should expect but it should be better from what i have read on here!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
which engine number do i have as i have seen quite a lot of different ones on here and not sure which i have!
All 1st Gen MCS models have a supercharged Tritec engine, codenamed W11B16. Models built prior to July 2004 had 163 bhp and those after 170 bhp. Some models have JCW Tuning Kits fitted rated at either 200 bhp or 210 bhp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts