MINI Cooper Forum banner

Is it a fine or points when flashed doing 55 in a 30?

• It's a fine - bugger!

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • It's points - bugger!

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • It's both - double bugger!

Votes: 47 82.5%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Whoops indeed... They've runined that tunnel, was such fun to go thru! :mad:

Fingers crossed the outcome isn't too bad.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Basic rule is if your over the next higher speed limit, your looking at a possible prosecution....

30-40+ fine (£30)
30-50+ fine/points/possible court appearance (£60)
30-60+ fine/points/defo court appearance (£ judges discretion)

If you go to court, the unwritten rule is ALWAYS employ a brief.....

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
You may well get a means tested fine. Prepare yourself for 6 points and a fine of several hundred plus your solicitors fees and you won't be disapointed -oh and buy a Snooper/microroadpilot and get mikeythemini to fit it. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
sorry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Derbyshire Constabulary state:

The penalty for being caught breaking the speed limit is 3 penalty points, and a £60 fine, or a request to appear at court.

A 'Notice of Intention to Prosecute' is sent and is worded in terms of a court appearance, however an 'offer' of the above fine and points is often made.

When I was done for speeding, I recall the above fixed penalty was for anything up to 49 mph in a 30 zone - I was doing 39.

If I had been doing, say 50, I dont know whether there would have been an 'offer' of a higher points/penalty or whether no offer would have been made, just a court appearance.

You can chose to appear in court instead of accepting the 'offer' of a fixed peanlty if you want.

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
Good luck! I got done for 75 in a 30 (dual carriageway - didn't know it was 30 no signs) and got a 56day ban and 400 quid fine. I was young, first offence and I expect it was so harsh to make an example of me so I wouldn't do it again. A week before court my new car was rear and front ended on a roundabout so I couldn't drive it when I was banned anyway.

Luke

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good luck.

If your caught bang to rights and they offer you an oppurtunity to go guilty via the post then I suggest you do....

Failing that its off to Magistrates court to probably be hit with 4 or 5 points and a fine...

Only advantage of getting nicked in the Limehouse Link tunnel is they cant say it was raining ;)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I'm sure its both. If you were 'copped' then you would defo get both. With it being a camera, there is a chance however small that, you may just get a fine. I got both when I was done on the M42 by a normal camera..

Just a note, I thought GATSOs were the cameras that clock you on the motorway between 2 points say from underpass to underpass over a largish milage and calculate average speed. I didn't think they were the flashy cameras??

R

·
Registered
153 Posts
Richard Crofts said:
Just a note, I thought GATSOs were the cameras that clock you on the motorway between 2 points say from underpass to underpass over a largish milage and calculate average speed. I didn't think they were the flashy cameras??

R

Nope, those are SPECS. Apparently, they don't work if you change lanes - not that I condone speeding :rolleyes:

I got points and fine for 56 in 30 on a dual carriageway even though the nice policeman said that 'everyone thinks this is a 50 dual carriageway, there should be signs' and 'you were driving safely as you stopped in good time for that pedestrian crossing'. The crossing was 1/2 mile before his little ray gun and he had clocked me about 1/2 mile before that.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.