MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my 5th gear won't work. Previously it was sometimes stiff to get it in to reverse so not sure if this has caused what's wrong with it now. I can get it to work if before I set of I keep putting in to reverse and then forward straight in to 5th until it goes in before I set off then it usually ok until the next time I stop.

Two mechanics have looked at it and couldnt see what was wrong with it, was typical it decided it was would work when the last person looked at it so he just greased up the linkage I think and said he thought that would fix it but it was back to square one the next time I got in it.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Get the gear lever change cables checked as they are cheap and easy to replace if worn or sticking. Also check the clutch operation and slave cylinder, etc.

What month/year/model is your Mini (see label under bonnet for build date). Pre July 2004 Cooper/One have a Rover Midland gearbox while post July 2004 (facelift) models have a Getrag gearbox.

·
cristo
2,883 Posts
Hope it's not your Midlands trans giving up the ghost, as they are wont to do.
Does it ever pop out of 3rd or 2nd gear or make different noises than before?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like the gearchange cable could be fraying internally. You have two cables, one to give forward and backward movement, one to give side to side movement. Could be the side to side one is sticking. It's usually this one that gives problems on most makes of car, last winter I had two different vehicles to deal with where this cable froze up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, no it never pops out of any other gear cristo it's only the fifth that wont go into gear.
It's back in the garage now as started making a noise when I pressed the clutch in, will ring them and mention the gear change cable thanks, hopefully they will get to the bottom of both problems this time.
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sometimes my 5th gear won't work. Previously it was sometimes stiff to get it in to reverse so not sure if this has caused what's wrong with it now. I can get it to work if before I set of I keep putting in to reverse and then forward straight in to 5th until it goes in before I set off then it usually ok until the next time I stop.

Two mechanics have looked at it and couldnt see what was wrong with it, was typical it decided it was would work when the last person looked at it so he just greased up the linkage I think and said he thought that would fix it but it was back to square one the next time I got in it.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed, I am having the same issue.
I'm having the same problem. I just picked up this car from family and drove it home 1.5 hours, 40 minutes from home i hit a bump in the road and it popped out of gear. Now it won't stay in 5th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts