MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i was having a bit of fun in my stock (for now) MINI one, and i thought i'd see how fast i could get it. This was done on a private road btw

I managed to get it to about 110mph in 4th gear, but when i changed into 5th the speed dropped to around 100 and would not go any faster

It was a straight road, no gradient.
Is this right? And if the ones top speed is like 112 surely 110 is a bit high in 4th?

·
Registered
195 Posts
no 4th gear is ur fastest gear....5th gear is a tall gear for cruisng and saving fuel etc.... unless ur car has a lot more power ull never be able to overcome the ratio and get get the most out of fifth! ive got 4th to 126 and if u change to 5th it starts to slow down.....
so dont worry nothing is wrong with ur car...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well ive got a bluefinned ONE and it has plenty of power to max out in 5th, of course i tried it out on a private road and in 5th it can still give quite a lot of acceleration above 100...

·
Registered
195 Posts
yeah it'll still accelerate out of 5th but your quickest speed, i have found anyways and a few friends of mine who have them, is in 4th.... in 5th downhill following wind e.t.c. might aid u enough to actually get over 130mph and go faster than 4th!!!!???

·
Registered
195 Posts
so ur saying uve managed to get 6500rpm in 5th gear, that would mean u managed about 135-140mph??? all im saying is i think it accelerates faster from 100 to 125 in 4th than it does in 5th and if u change to 5th if u absolutely top out 4th u wont go faster... mines bluefinned aswell but it still doesnt give it enough power to top out 5th......

·
Registered
195 Posts
ill now admit i am partly wrong.... today i managed to get my fastest speed in 5th......127! now the thing is i still believe that in 4th the acceleration is quite a bit better between 100-125 but i did change at 125 n then after about 5-6 seconds i got to 127, i reckon i could have got about 130 aswell but i had to slow down pretty rapidly for a roundabout.....so m_cooke999....im sorry... my bad!
however lol.... i think a normal unmodified mini one would never get its top speed in 5th, the revs just stay too low....maybe i dunno, as we can see ive been wrong before!!!

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
ive noticed ib my ONE when i put it in 5th gear doing 70 the revs are on approx 3.5 is this right?
Yeah thats about right.

I have had my stock ONE to 125mph in fourth gear and it would might have kept going. No bluefin no anything just a milltek which was nice to hear at that speed lol

The car can max out in fifth as if your going 70 in fifth gear you can still accelerate, wont be as quick to accelerate as in fourth but it will go anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts