MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 52 plate coopers gearbox has gained a slight whine!

would anyone be able to tell me if its possible to replace the midlands gearbox with the r53 6 speed gearbox any modifications or just a strait swap?:confused:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If it only a slight wine changing the gear oil may help a little.

But the box conversion does make for a nice 6 speed driver.

Our last customer reported a big improvement in MPG.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Not a straight swap I'm afraid, but can be done. it requires all sorts of other bits such as drive shafts etc. I know a few of the MINI tuners have done this conversion. Would recommend one but they are no longer sponsors here, so promoting them is frowned upon.
I would have recommended the same company as well ;).

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
my 52 plate coopers gearbox has gained a slight whine!

would anyone be able to tell me if its possible to replace the midlands gearbox with the r53 6 speed gearbox any modifications or just a strait swap?:confused:
As has been said if you convert to the 6-speed Cooper S Getrag box several other parts must also be changed to match, such as driveshafts, gearbox mounting, slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel, etc.
Used / secondhand boxes/driveshafts are often available from MINI breakers, etc.
There is a useful step by step 30 page PDF file (with photos & part No.s) on carrying out the 6-speed conversion available online direct from Texas Speedwerks in the US :-
(3MB file)
http://www.txwerks.com/images/Install_Docs/Fixing_the_Weak_Link.pdf

(or pm me your email address and I will send you a copy.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
thanks all!
as im a mechanic i would probably do it myself but it seems alot off work and lots of ££££
Would be a lot of work and probably some good money too, but hte end product would be fantastic. I want one myself, but i'm not a mechanic :( Alas I'll probably end up with another 5-speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts