MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am a newbie so please bear with me.
I have 2003 cooper ,the midlands gearbox has gone bang.
Can you fit a cooper s R53 Gertrag box to this engine.
Many thanks for any replies
Regards
Clive

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes you can but its not a simple task, you will need:
Gear shift and Bowden cables,
Clutch lines,
Gearbox
Drive shaft
Flywheel
Clutch unit
Clutch Slave.

If your in the UK and the gearbox casing is OK, just get in contact with John Tee at minigearboxes.co.uk in Coventry and get another midlands fitted.

Midlands only break from either and or abuse and neglect. Never labour them in 5th gear, don't flog the gearbox and change the oil every 30k miles.

A rebuilt midlands is a lot cheaper than a 6 speed conversion. You also need the right 6 speed due to the gear ratios so they are similar to the midlands.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
No, its very doable but one would need very deep pockets due to the economics and you would want to be doing it DIY and try to source reliable parts from a wrecker to keep cost down.

A recent post here gave a ball park quote of over GBP 1000.00 + from memory from John Tee of Mini Gearboxes but you also need to obtain the correct year transmission due to the gear ratios between the two types produced to get as close as you can to the midlands gear ratios ( I cant recall if its the early or later model GB) that best suits the conversion.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
HiGuys
Thank you for replies, it was just a nice idea
kind regards
Clive
This is a guide to what you would be needing Clive.

Clutch
Pressure Plate
Flywheel
Thrust Bearing
Clutch line
Slave Cylinder (cant recall but may be the same, they look identical on my R50 and R53)
Drive shaft
Gear shift
Gear shift Bowden cables
Exhaust gasket (your dropping from the Cat back to access the gear selector box)
Input shaft seal (if the box is out, change it whilst you have the opportunity)
Axle Shaft Seals (may as well make sure they are up to scratch while your at it)
Bush for Clutch Rel Bearing Fork Lever for R53 Cooper S*and R52 Cooper S
Clutch release bush for R53 Cooper S and R52 Cooper S
Guide Sleeve for thrust bearing
Starter Motor

This is the response PepsiSingh obtained from John Tee in the UK (Minigearboxes) in Coventry.

For an exchange box £300 providing there is no damage to the case.
12mths /12000 miles guarantee

£300 surcharge if damage to the case. 6mths/6000 miles guarantee

£540 fitted for a gearbox exchange providing there is no damage to case. With new clutch.
If damage £300surcharge as above

If you take the car down to them in Coventry. 1.5/2hrs to replace.
They drop you off into the city centre and pick you up once it's done. A free service.

12mths/ 12000 miles Guarantee/warranty.

They said they wouldn't do the 6spd getrag swap as it would cost too much. A quote of about £1500

Not sure where you live but if its in the UK, it may be an option for you and the prices are only recent.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
There is a guy on MiniTorque selling most of the bits (he posted 90%) to convert to 6 speed, asking £200. Collected from Rushden. Includes box - all from a 95,000 mile car. Not sure if it is right for what you'd like to do, but here is the link:
6 speed coversion kit

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
No, its very doable but one would need very deep pockets due to the economics and you would want to be doing it DIY and try to source reliable parts from a wrecker to keep cost down.

A recent post here gave a ball park quote of over GBP 1000.00 + from memory from John Tee of Mini Gearboxes but you also need to obtain the correct year transmission due to the gear ratios between the two types produced to get as close as you can to the midlands gear ratios ( I cant recall if its the early or later model GB) that best suits the conversion.
2004-2006 facelift 6spd gertags have the Ratios better suited to the r50.

(last letters of the gearbox code)

TBKE - Facelift gearbox--

thats the one ya want :big_grin:::smile::

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys ,newbie here,I have just brought a 6 speed Cooper S but when I went to do the Pin upgrade on the selector I found it wasn't the same as pictured in the info on how to do it,mine seems to be at the back ,rather than top,
Can anyone tell me what gearbox I have and if there's a fix for stiff gear shift,
Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys ,newbie here,I have just brought a 6 speed Cooper S but when I went to do the Pin upgrade on the selector I found it wasn't the same as pictured in the info on how to do it,mine seems to be at the back ,rather than top,
Can anyone tell me what gearbox I have and if there's a fix for stiff gear shift,
Cheers
Its a Getrag 6spd....keep in mind yours is an S...if its R56 its not the same as a base r56 6spd...someone will come along w/ more info...good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts