MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper, manual transmission
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m new to working on Mini’s and I’m in a situation where I’m looking to put a 6-speed manual transmission (from another Mini Cooper) into a 2006 Mini which originally had a 5-speed, if possible.

Does anyone know about the transmissions who could comment on this? Would it ‘just fit’? Would there be sensor issues? Would a different flywheel/clutch be necessary, etc? I know it would need a different shifter assembly—I’m not concerned about that.

Thanks in advance!

·
cristo
2,881 Posts
LOTS of associated parts to swap in.
It makes sense to do on a pre-facelift
with a Midlands or one with a CVT
because of reliability issues with those
boxes, but the Getrag 5-speed is pretty
solid, making it not worth the effort
unless maybe you have a donor car with
all the stuff needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cristo. The issue is that the 5-speed transmission is toast and I will have a 6-speed freely available. Perhaps a friendly junkyard would do a trade for a 5-speed?

Could you give me some idea of the parts needed? Just so I can assess the effort and potential cost.

·
cristo
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a guide to changing from the
Midlands 5-speed to the Getrag 6-speed,
but you also need just about all these parts
to go from the Getrag 5-speed to the
Getrag 6-speed. Note - some of the
part numbers have been superseded
since this was written, so double check
on realoem as appropriate.

That’s really great, thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was perusing the document and saw that it said you need the 6-speed transmission with ‘BKE’ in the part number, and not ‘BKA’. The 6-speed I have has ‘BKD’. The document doesn’t mention ‘BKD’. Is only ‘BKE’ compatible?

I’m still preferring another 5-speed for simplicity, but if I can get the parts for the 6-speed cheap then I may do that instead.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'd just sort a 5 speed personally,

BKD is pre facelift with slightly longer ratios which is why they used the facelift version, boxes are the same otherwise

you're just going to add a lump of static and rotating weight for one extra gear the car can't really pull well anyway, in my opinion, and reliability, the only plus perhaps. Worth doing if you use an alloy flywheel and are tuning the engine a bit maybe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

BKD is pre facelift with slightly longer ratios which is why they used the facelift version, boxes are the same otherwise

you're just going to add a lump of static and rotating weight for one extra gear the car can't really pull well anyway, in my opinion, and reliability, the only plus perhaps. Worth doing if you use an alloy flywheel and are tuning the engine a bit maybe.
That’s good advice and I really would prefer to stay 5-speed, but I’m concerned about pricing a transmission and I’m unsure whether I am able to fix the existing one. I have some of the parts for the 6-speed conversion already, and if I can get the remaining parts for cheap enough then that seems a better option.

Are there places to get a relatively cheap 5-speed?

·
Registered
16 Posts

So either refurbish the Midland box or fit a 5 speed Getrag, is that what you are saying? I'm in this position with my son's 2004 Cooper, its done 100k miles and the gearbox is very very noisy, I don't know which is the best but I've had a £450 quote for refurbishment but I can buy a 2nd hand Getrag for £150

·
Registered
791 Posts
So either refurbish the Midland box or fit a 5 speed Getrag, is that what you are saying? I'm in this position with my son's 2004 Cooper, its done 100k miles and the gearbox is very very noisy, I don't know which is the best but I've had a £450 quote for refurbishment but I can buy a 2nd hand Getrag for £150
yours is a different scenario but essentially yes, I'd use the Getrag 5 before fitting a 6 'or' over a Midland

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
£150 for a Getrag? I wish I was living in England right now :) Where can you get that? Do they have more than one? Maybe I can contact them to see about shipping to the US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That’s good advice and I really would prefer to stay 5-speed, but I’m concerned about pricing a transmission and I’m unsure whether I am able to fix the existing one. I have some of the parts for the 6-speed conversion already, and if I can get the remaining parts for cheap enough then that seems a better option.

Are there places to get a relatively cheap 5-speed?
I've also sought advice from a BMW dealer who warned me off trying to do this transfer, but the chances are no one would ever go to them for such a job. As for the g/box its from a car being broken by an individual local to me, and I've agreed the purchase

·
Registered
791 Posts
£150 for a Getrag? I wish I was living in England right now :) Where can you get that? Do they have more than one? Maybe I can contact them to see about shipping to the US.
there'll be several available, these cars are broken up daily here

Reactions: Red and Green

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've also sought advice from a BMW dealer who warned me off trying to do this transfer, but the chances are no one would ever go to them for such a job. As for the g/box its from a car being broken by an individual local to me, and I've agreed the purchase
BMW would do, they're only allowed to recommend OEM standard work or approved upgrades,

·
Registered
16 Posts
A bit of humble pie from me, the gearbox in my car is an early Getrag 5 speed, so swapping the replacement I've bought should be very easy

·
Registered
791 Posts
well it made the job quicker

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been offered a complete Mini Cooper 1.6 engine low mileage from a car whose gearbox has failed, I was going to just buy the head but the whole engine would be better again, my concern is its weight, I can't find the weight listed anywhere, anyone know, just the head and block, no ancillaries

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been offered a complete Mini Cooper 1.6 engine low mileage from a car whose gearbox has failed, I was going to just buy the head but the whole engine would be better again, my concern is its weight, I can't find the weight listed anywhere, anyone know, just the head and block, no ancillaries
Interested because of trying to lift it into by SUV rather than for any other reason

·
Registered
791 Posts
'kin heavy, not likely on your own built up, got a block in the car now to take out, even bare it's comparable to a built N14 bottom end 😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts